help with networking wireless internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrviper91180, Aug 2, 2006.

1. mrviper91180

mrviper91180 Private E-2

Hey guys, im hopeing that you can make sense out of this for me. ok im an automotive service technician, and as im sure you are aware electronics on vehicles is more complicated everyday, the new scan tool that we have has to connect to the internet via our dealerwebpage in order to retrieve flashes to flash a controller in the vehicle. (how am i doin so far?) now the only place in the shop that this is possible is way up at the other end of the shop, which makes it a pain to do for me. so since money is an issue apparantly i had to scrounge up an old computer from another department as they wouldnt purchase us one. ive got it running wireless from a router at the other computer and everything that way works great, now, the scan tool has to be wired to work, so can i make it so i can plug into the ethernet card in the computer and then to the scan tool and go online via the wireless computer?im thinking that this is possible but im unsure how to go about setting it up any help would really be appreciated. thanks

Matt

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If the scan tool has possibility to connect via Ethernet, then there should be no problem using a Repeater to allow you to hook up that way. Otherwise, you would have to do what you are already doing.

What brand and model of Diagnostic tool unit are you using?

3. mrviper91180

mrviper91180 Private E-2

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

A repeater allows you to move the signal to where you need it, without having a computer in that area. I see that it has a PCMCIA slot for a Wireless card, do you have that already installed?

The StarScan also includes a PCMCIA slot, and can also support optional wireless LAN connections using WiFi cards from Avaya (formerly Orinoco, formerly Lucent Technologies) or from Cisco's 350 series.

5. mrviper91180

mrviper91180 Private E-2

no, the scan tool has the capabilities, but chrysler will not allow it to be used yet, they arent completly happy with the software for it yet apparantly, when theyve tried it it has gone down during flashes and ruined controllers on vehicles, has to be ethernet cabled.

6. dchristman

dchristman Private E-2

Your running linux on the scan tool from what I read. You will need to run ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on your windows computer I'm pretty sure. What I'm not sure about it if you just can plug in that scan tool and it will work or does the scan tool with linux needs some configuring? I'm thinking they both just will use the tcp/ip protocol and it should work. Does anyone know this for sure?

7. dchristman

dchristman Private E-2

Another thing that could be done is running linux on your computer instead of windows. Knoppix is a free down and can run from a cd so that you can keep windows on and it will be unaffected. Here is a link that has a bunch of info you can read about sharing an internet connection with linux and windows. There's several ways you can go here and I don't really know the best since I haven't done this.

http://www.homenethelp.com/comments...howto/linux-share-internet.asp&messageNo=4970

8. mrviper91180

mrviper91180 Private E-2

well we couldnt figure it out, so when the boss went away we called the computer shop that set us up, they came over and said that it would not work from that computer becase the scan tool wasnt on the network by plugging into the computers ethernet slot, but we were trying to trick the scan tool into thinking it was and it was too smart, so they ran a new line for us and we are al set up know, but im trying to find a laptop for myself and wheni do i want to be able to hook the scan tool to it, so im not tossing your link or suggestions away, thanks guys!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds