help with new computer install and hardware issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kiwihunter, Oct 22, 2004.

1. kiwihunter

kiwihunter Private E-2

hmm just wrote this thread but can't find it so i try again
    i have just been trying to build a new computer

amd 3500
    asus a8v motherboard
    2x512 kingston hyperx 3200a ram
    pny geforce 6800gt graphics card
    maxtor 160g sata hd

and i have come into some problems..i downloaded drivers for the sata hd and everything was going ok until the windows xp pro installation where just after it had read the hardware i get a critical error products catalogs error code 800b0001 load library dll returned error 126 what is this error? now i read something on internet about updating bios so i did that form asus website and now i can't see anything on screen.. i have already reset the bios and that works fine until the after the saving and exit then nothing happens.. i may have had a power surge so am hopeing motherboard and cpu are not stuffed ..have tried changing graphics card no joy..monitor is working fine as i have another comp to test things and to write for help....there are no warning sounds when i power up.. how can i check motherboard, cpu ram etc for faults? or is it something else? the reset button doesn't help either nothing shows on screen.. all lights are showing, fans spinning but nothing on screen except after i do a bios reset.. also the hd doesn't show in bios now
    but is connected properly to the raid slot on motherboard
    any help would be appreciated
    cheers
    kiwihunter :cool:

2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

you can call MS because xp has unlimited help installation; if its producing no 'beep' post sound then somthings wrong in your hardware or somthings not connected. Also large SATA drives like yours require you to manually install the drivers for them.

3. NationalAcrobat

NationalAcrobat Private First Class

you have just one SATA HDD or 2? I think you need 2 HDD to utilize the raid ports on the mobo.

I think you also need to run the bootable CD that came with the HDD and format it before installing windows.

but it definately sounds like some hardware isnt connected properly.

Maybe try disconnecting a peice of hardware(like the HDD) and then POSTing to see if you get a beep.

4. kiwihunter

kiwihunter Private E-2

thanks for the replys .. i have only 1 sata hd drive but the manual says that i can use it in raid function as long as i make it IDE instead of raid in bios which is the default.. my friend has virtually the same combo and he has it plugged into raid serial ata port.There is also another port on the board called serial ata.might try this port as well..i manually installed a driver from ASUS web site and there was no problem until i was installing windows. Could it be a power supply issue or something to do with earthing ? i have a antec 550watt all my stuff is brand new.. will try and post and see what happens
    thanks
    kiwihunter

5. kiwihunter

kiwihunter Private E-2

ok i have tried using another IDE hard disk and nothing happens
    i have tried taking out ram and got three continuous beeps
    i disconnected power to graphics card and got 1 long continuous beep
    i have disconnected hard disk no beeps

still can't get anything on monitor.. i think either motherboard, cpu or graphics card is broken .. hope not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! paid a lot of money for this stuff.
    what else can i do any ideas apart from trying graphics card and hd on my mates comp

this is very annoying :rolleyes:

6. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

do you get a correct post sound at all? if its not the vid card its the mobo/agp slot. Do you get the green status LED on your mobo on?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds