Help With New Router Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 20Valve, Mar 26, 2013.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Greetings Geeks -

My old Linksys WRT54G router, which I was very happy with for years on end, was starting to give me problems. Instead of troubleshooting, I just decided that after 5 years or so it was time for a new one. So . . . .

I purchased a TP-Link TL-WR941BD. I know it is not the best of routers, and it seems to have the UPnP and QSS crap, but I think I can live with fixes. The outstanding question I have is the following: Do I need to use the setup CD or can I do the setup manually?

I was pretty comfy with my Linksys. Especially as of late when the problems started and I had to continually tweak, adjust, and reset. Although very tech savvy, networking is where I lack the upfront knowledge to answer this question. I can figure it out I am sure (with the help of Major Geeks if needed ;)) I just would like to know if I absolutely need the setup to get started.

My intuition and current knowledge says "no." Am I correct?

And of course, thanks for any help!

Oh yeah, the rig in my sig is generations old! I need to fix that!

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I would go with the setup CD. According to the website, it greatly simplifies the process:

Easy Setup

The device comes with a CD with an Easy Setup Assistant that leads you through the setup process step-by-step, and even helps with wireless network settings and security configurations, which is convenient to the users, especially for novice users.
    [​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds