Help with retrieving data from a drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by countossie, May 30, 2011.

1. countossie

countossie Private E-2

Hello

I am trying to retrieve data from a Laptop Hard Drive. I have slaved it to my PC using a sata - usb connection. It is Windows Vista and I am using Windows 7.

I can see the Boot partition fine and browse. I could see the OS partition but when I went to copy the data it crashed and now cannot get into the OS partition. I can still see the boot partition so would hope that this means the drive is not totally dead. The OS partition has a lot of important data for a friend I need to retrieve?

ANy help would be much appreciated :-D

2. countossie

countossie Private E-2

More details I am using a magic Bridge II to connect the hard drive and am getting a red light.

3. greysunrise

greysunrise Private E-2

May or may not help but last time I fried a hard drive I used a Linux boot from cd os to pull as much of the data off as possible. Not the smoothest ui but it might allow you to get the data you need off.

4. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

I've read the forums here and that's what some others say that you can do(never tried it myself tho)

5. countossie

countossie Private E-2

So I have used GParted Linux boot CD and copied data onto my external drive am able to rover most of the data 90% but a lot of file are corrupt

6. countossie

countossie Private E-2

Further update. about 25% data corruption on drive. Am running spinrite to try and recover. ANy other help appriciated

7. chizzengeek

chizzengeek Private E-2

Download and run 'Recovermyfiles', but you will have to be on windows preferably xp? If it recogs your drive then you will be set: recovers even stuff you formatted two times ago.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds