Help With Secondary Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vicker316, Feb 13, 2007.

1. vicker316

vicker316 Private E-2

I have my main hard drive and my secondary which is the slave. Recently my secondary (where i keep my songs and things I work on) has been acting weird. Sometimes when I go into it.. a lot of my things will be missing. I restarted my pc to see if that would help. Before windows loads it says it has to fix errors on my D drive (secondary). So it runs thru every single file I have on it and then when its done.. it loads up.

When i go back into my D drive to check it.. things are missing or things read as "0 kb" in size. Well i decided to remove my stuff off it and put it into my main hard drive and i figured i would delete everything off my D drive and format it. Well now it won't let me format it at all. Plus when i click on the D drive in My Computer i get "The Disk in drive D is not formatted" I click yes.. and it runs thru the format.. but then it says "windows was not able to format this drive".. Anyone know what the problem is?

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Find out the manufacturer of the 2nd drive, visit their website and download and run their diagnostic tool. It could be that the drive is failing. You could also try it on a different channel (on IDE2 instead of IDE1) and/or try a new cable on the drive.... Be sure the power cord is unplugged from the PC while messing around inside the case swapping cables and drives..... just having the power turned off isn't enough: many PC's stay 'hot' even though the PC is turned off. HP and Compaq are famous for this; Dell too.......

hopperdave2000

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds