Help with selecting a PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lithic87, May 26, 2013.

1. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

Hey guys, I am purchasing a New Desktop pc and I need some advice.

I am currently going to be using it for gaming/school/etc

I play CS:GO // GW2 // And expect to be playing some newer games as well

--Things to note
    I don't need a monitor
    I don't need a keyboard/mouse

-- I have a GTX 550ti Gfx Card so I can use this card if the rig's is not as good

I have around 700-750$ To purchase a Desktop , I would like to spend 600-675 but only if you guys think I can get a Desktop to run games like CS:GO and some other newer games at a decent speed with that priced rig.

I was wondering if someone can link me a few options you think would be good.

Also do you guys think buying Refurbished is a BAD idea from Newegg? I can get a better rig for the same price, but I am worried about buying refurbed.

2. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

I understand that the i7 is the best idea but there is no way I can afford a i7 rig unless its refurbed, so would i be better going with something like the aMD FX 8 core , or an i5 ?

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Buying from newegg.com or Tiger Direct is what a lot of the upper echelon at this forum do. If it's a refurbished, it's been fixed to work like it was originally intended to so, I wouldn't worry about a refurbished from newegg or even Refurbees.com.

4. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

Mdonah I have decided to spend 800-900
    But I really want it to be a nice computer. i7 is what I am really after.

Can you link me to a few nice rigs you think are really nice for that money?
    I would appreciate the help so much.

5. mdonah

The AMD FX 8 or the i5 shouldn't give you any problems as far as CPU power for your games — it's the GPU that will determine if your games are sluggish or the graphics quality is sub par.

As long as the graphics card you have will work in the computer you purchase, you may be able to use it if the included graphics card/chip set don't meet your expectations.

6. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

7. mdonah

Here's a computer for $849 from Amazon.com with free shipping that has an i7 processor, 16GB of DDR3 RAM, a 1TB 7200 rpm hard drive and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 PCI graphics card. It's also got Windows 8 installed.

8. mdonah

It looks to me as if you're going over your $800 to $900 budget right from the get-go with either of these choices.

The one I found, I found on a CNET.com review after Googling "computers for $800 to $900". Of course there are others but I thought the computer I gave you a link to fit the bill perfectly. But then, it's your money and your choice. :)

9. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

I decided to spend way more than I said lol.
    This is the Customized Rig I ended up buying

Intel i7 3770k 3.65 Overclocked
    8 Gig 1600 G.Skill Ripjaw
    GTX 660ti EVGA Overclocked 2gig
    Liquid Coolant
    Custom Engraved Message
    Corsair Carbide Series Computer Case ( Liquid Cooling Version )
    Blu Ray Dual Format Drives
    SSD for HD // 2 TB for data drive
    850 Corsair Venom OC approved Pwoer Supply

With the Sale prices // Coupon code for 5 % off // Rebates
    and upgrading to Widnows 8 PRO instead of standard

1066$ , included is free Metro First Light Game /// 50$ Visa Gift Card /// Free Corsair Gaming Headset /// Free 75 $ ingame money for Planetside 2 and a few other games// and a 50$ Mail In Rebate

I think I made out ok, I am really excited !

10. b2009

b2009 Private First Class

I'm curious where you eventually bought the computer from?

I thought I was overspending at $350! :)

But I'm not much into post XP single player games.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds