Help with slowdown while ripping/burning (dual core)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Smartypants5391, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Smartypants5391

Smartypants5391 Private E-2

I got a new computer recently and it has an AMD Althon 64x2 4200+ and 1 gig of ram. Whenever, I rip or burn a CD or DVD it slows down a lot, so much so that songs skip pretty badly. I never remember this happening on my old computer at all, and that was an AMD 2400+, so I assume this is something that can be fixed. Does anybody have any tips on how to get this running better?

Also I have no backround programs running except for the essentials. Finally, the main program I am using to rip/burn is windows media player, but this slowdown also occurs while using DVD burning programs. I already installed the Dual Core update for windows, and have tried setting the ripping program so that it only uses one processor.

2. covert215

covert215 Private E-2

windows media player is generally slow software...it causes a MASSIVE slowdown whenever i am ripping music and i have never used it to burn CDs...use a free version of nero or use iTunes...iTunes works best for me

btw, can u put in a suggestion for my RAM suggestion thread?

3. Smartypants5391

Where can I get a free version of nero?

Also, I responded to your thread.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Nero doesn't come as free.

5. Smartypants5391

Could you recommend another free program that would work better than windows media player? I have tried mediamonkey and that slowsdown my system too. Could this have anything to do with my harddrive?

6. covert215

covert215 Private E-2

go with iTunes...even if you don't have an iPod, it is a great way to organize your music

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Can you let me know the link for this update, please. I have a dual core laptop, XP Pro SP2, and am always looking for more info on dual core CPU's. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds