Help with Streaming Video over a home network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ardabus, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Ardabus

Ardabus Private E-2

Hey everyone! Happy holidays :D

I got a 3tb hard drive to store all my movies that are split between 5 other hard drives as of now, and i'd love to be able to hook it up to stream them over my entire network (including PS4)

I have a DLINK DIR-820L dual band router with a USB port that says it's a "SharePort", which has so far worked on my two computers but not on the PS4. And this method is overall crappy since i have to sign on to a webpage and watch the movies from there, which is really weird since my router is secure and i don't want to have to sign in with a user and password every time i want to watch something. Not to mention it doesn't work at all on the PS4.

Basically i'm looking for a way to hook up the 3tb Hard Drive so i can watch anything on the drive from both my laptops, my desktop and my PS4. All the guides i've searched for online give me the same generic information and none of it helps.

I've had the networking active and working with the hard drive hooked up to my desktop, and made a homegroup or whatever to share between computers. But that leaves out the PS4, which is the only non-wirelss device in the chain (it's plugged directly into the router)

Can i network everything through the USB port on the router without using the "SharePort" software? Or can i network everything through a homegroup like i had before, with access for my PS4?

This is so confusing, if anyone can help i'll be eternally grateful!

Thanks in advance!!!!

-ARDABUS

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

3. Ardabus

Ardabus Private E-2

Very interesting! So that's mainly to get them to play on the PS4 because DLNA, correct?

I'm definitely interested, but i have a few q's.... is it a reliable service? IE freezing, skipping through movies, overall wait time, etc?

Is it free? I have almost 3TB of movies and tv shows, which could get pricey if there is some pay-per type thing.

Can i watch on multiple devices at the same time? For example, i'm watching movie A on PS4, my wife is watching movie B on her laptop, and my mom is watching movie C on her tablet. is this possible?

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

4. Ardabus

Ardabus Private E-2

Also, i've been looking at Serviio and can you use it on PS4 without paying for it? It's only $25 so if it works awesome i'll pay it, but i'm just wondering. Thanks!!!

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

If you pay for serviio you can stream movies over the Internet. You can watch on Android and Apple via VLC on your local network. You can watch different movies on different devices as long as your network can support the traffic.
    So, you don't have to 'buy it', only if you want the pro features.
    http://serviio.org/features/10-uncategorised/60-free-vs-pro

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds