help with USB Composite device

Discussion in 'Software' started by JoeBackward, Jun 4, 2008.

1. JoeBackward

JoeBackward Private E-2

Hello, dear Major Geeks. I'm stuck and I'd love some help, with a USB headset.

I am trying to hook up a Plantronics DSP 400 headset to my desktop. When I plug this baby into my puny laptop (which is too puny to run Dragon Naturally Speaking voice-rec) I get the following USB driver install popups, and success.

Plantronics Headset
    USB Composite Device
    Plantronics Headset
    USB Audio Device
    Plantronics Headset
    USB Human Interface Device
    Device Successfully Installed

Cool!

When I try to install it on my desktop, I just get

Plantronics Headset

Then I get the Found New Hardware Wizard, which can't find a driver for this thing. It ends up in Hardware Manager with a yellow question mark.

The Plantronics tech support people suggested to clear out the USB devices in the Device Manager, which I did. No help.

This computer has the VMWARE player installed. I wonder if that makes a difference?

Attached is an Everest log, I had to trim some stuff to make it fit.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom about how to clean up this computer so this headset has a shot at working!

Attached Files:

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

not an answer (a few questions). what os are you running on both comps? did the headset come with a s/w disk? are there any drivers available on the plantronics site? have you tried another usb port?

how did you go about this? right click the device (yellow question mark), from device manager, "uninstall" it (then reboot)? - sos

3. JoeBackward

JoeBackward Private E-2

Thanks for your interest and your questions!
    Windows XP SP2, up to date with critical fixes.

No, the vendor does not ship any disc or downloadable drivers. Plantronics claim that it uses standard drivers. On my laptop that works fine.

Oh, yes! Tried several, on different adapters.

Yes. Here are the directions from the vendor web site.
    vendor web site.

For what it's worth, this mutha board has VIA rev 5 USB, and an AMD processor. I think that may make a difference. I installed the updated VIA filter driver and it didn't help, or hurt, anything.

Any idea what could be misconfigured? Thanks for your wisdom!

4. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

sorry, i didn't get back to you. i don't know if you read these links? and yes, i do realize you don't have to install seperate drivers, they should be provided by inserting your headset. - sos

http://plantronics.custhelp.com/cgi...2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9RFNQIDQwMA**&p_li=&p_topview=1 <-- My computer is asking for drivers. Where do I get them?

http://plantronics.custhelp.com/cgi...GFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9RFNQIDQwMA**&p_li= <-- What devices should be listed in my Device Manager?

http://plantronics.custhelp.com/cgi...GFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9RFNQIDQwMA**&p_li= <-- When to Clean Out the Device Manager:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds