HELP With Windows XP Prefetch Clean And Control 1.2.0

Discussion in 'Software' started by BamaGalJenn, Jun 4, 2005.

1. BamaGalJenn

BamaGalJenn Private E-2

Hi,
    :eek: PLEASE HELP ME! I have no clue on what settings I need to choose for this. I just downloaded the Windows XP Prefetch Clean and Control program. I clicked on the authors name to go to the web site directly, but it says MajorGeeks doesn't have the correct web address for the author anymore. Can anyone tell me what settings I need to select so I can start using this? I'm using Windows XP home edition. If you need any other info from me please let me know. I appreciate the help, & time in advance! Hope everyone has a wonderful, & safe weekend!!! :D

Jennifer

2. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Do you have any reason to disable prefetch?
    Disble except for boot files is a good choice if you have lot of apps.
    Also once in a while cleaning of the pf folder is good.

3. Anon-068c403e2d

Monitor bootfile launch only is the recommended setting.

4. BamaGalJenn

BamaGalJenn Private E-2

I don't know if I have any reason to disable the prefetch or not. I know when I read the description on what the program does it sounded like something I may need to use. I got my computer in April 2003, & have never cleaned anything out like this program is suppose to do unless it's something that Windows automatically does. I just know that with the computer set up I have...I should be able to boot up quicker than it does now. I know start up programs can slow it down, but this program just sounded like something I may need to clean up other junk when booting up the computer. Is this something you think I should try to use or no? I know I have read lots of your post so I think I can trust your judgement especially since you have helped me before & suggested that I download CCleaner. I did & I love it! Just let me know what you think is best. I'm on my computer nearly all day. I work from home selling on eBay & am on my computer from the time I get up 7:00am to the time I go to bed 2:00am. There is usually about 3-4 hours during the day that I may not be on here in intervals so since I'm on here for work, & personal time my computer hardly gets any rest.
    Okay, I'm done babbling now, but just thought it might help if you knew how much I use my computer. Thanks again for your help!

Jennifer

5. Anon-068c403e2d

Prefetch is an xp feauture where xp learns your habits and loads files even before you launch them,this information is stored in the prefetch folder.
    The only reason you need to clean it is if something is wrong,there is no harm in cleaning it as it will be replaced immeadiately.Disabling it is not neceassay.

6. BamaGalJenn

BamaGalJenn Private E-2

:eek: Okay, I understand it better now. I won't worry about using the program now. I guess I just misunderstood what it was suppose to do, & I'm glad you could help me out with a better understanding of this. Thank you so much for your help! You have been great with helping me out on something again! ;)

Jennifer

7. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

easier way just type prefetch in Start/Run/select all and delete.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds