HELP- 'Word' won't open!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by xcav8r369, Nov 25, 2006.

1. xcav8r369

xcav8r369 Private E-2

My laptop hasn't had internet access for two months (I just moved from AZ to FL) and Microsoft Word was working just fine. I recently got internet access (Through Embarq in FL) and now I can't open Word or any of my Word Documents.
    When I try - it flashes a quick outline of the window then it dissappears. *Crash*:rolleyes:
    If I RUN 'winword /a' a box pops up that tells me that Windows cannot find the application.:eek:
    Word is definetly on my computer, its in C:

I've tried temporarily killing Norton to start it up- No luck:mad:
    I've tried holding the shift key to start it- No luck.:mad:
    Can anyone help? I've got documents on there that I NEED to access.
    Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi have you tried to either repair Office ( in Word click Help > Detect and Repair ) or re-install Office? ( dependant on if you have the Office CD as it may need files to fix a possible corrupted Office/Word ) As this is your best option.

The below is a quick fix option if you dont have the CD, in installing the Office Viewer packages to allow you to view the docs and print but you cannot edit

http://www.microsoft.com/office/000/viewers.asp

3. xcav8r369

xcav8r369 Private E-2

:) Please Thank Ferdinand and his buddies!
    I can view and print the docs I needed.
    However...... I still can't use Works Word or Corel WordPerfect. They both refuse to open.
    I don't have the disk for Works Word and refuse to pay $100 for a program that is causing me such distress.
    Repair/Re-install did not fix the problem.
    I've even tried running Registry Mechanic.
    *sigh* I hate Windows.

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try winword.exe /a

Steve

5. xcav8r369

xcav8r369 Private E-2

I tried that and got :
    "Windows cannot find 'winword.exe' Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again."
    I'm on Yahoo IMs as xcav8r369. Thanks -Lisa.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Make sure you entered it correctly, there is a "space" after exe

Or, just copy and paste this winword.exe /a in the box.

Steve

7. xcav8r369

xcav8r369 Private E-2

Yes, I noted and typed the space.
    Maybe this will mean something: When I tried to repair/re-install Works Word from cntrl pnl, I got an error message that said something to the effect of bad/corrupt dll in/as an Apps file.

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

1. Quit all instances of Word.

2. On the Windows taskbar, click Start, point to Find, and click Files or Folders.

3. In the Named box, type Normal.dot.

4. In the Look In box, select your local hard disk drive (or an alternate user template location if you are running Word from a network server).

5. Click Find Now to search for the file.

6. For each occurrence of Normal.dot that appears in the Find dialog box, right-click the file. Click Rename on the shortcut menu. Give the file a new name, such as OldNormal.dot or Normal-1.dot.

7. Minimize the find dialog box.

8. Restart Word.

Steve

9. xcav8r369

xcav8r369 Private E-2

I did exactly what you listed and the result was this:
    "There were no files found"
    Yes - I looked in hidden files/folders, too.
    How can it not be there?
    If I go directly to my computer then c: then program files then microsoft works then WksWP.exe and try to open it..... I get this error message:
    "Works cannot access one or more files it needs to open the Word Processor. TYhe files may have been renamed, deleted or moved. Try reinstalling Works and then starting the program again."

So how do I back up my docs and then un install and re-install Word?
    Works is doing just fine in Spreadsheet and Database, its only Word tha's messed up.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

11. xcav8r369

xcav8r369 Private E-2

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tomorrow night after work. I appreciate all your help x :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds