Help!! Words on PC look like hieroglyphics's

Discussion in 'Software' started by rdsw1965, Jul 27, 2012.

1. rdsw1965

rdsw1965 Private E-2

On the 16th, I booted up my old Compaq Persario SR2179NX (Vista - 32 bit with all updates). Things were find the day before.

Things looked Ok until it got to the logon screen, then where I was to log on things looked like hieroglyphics's EXCEPT at the bottom of the screen where it read 'Windows Vista Home Basic' with the Windows flag. All screens from logon are unreadable.

I tried AVG, SuperAntiSpyware, IObit Malware Fighter Pro, and finally, Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Thanks for your help in advance!

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

So are you actually able to login to Windows? And fonts display still unreadable?

Can you perform a System Restore to a date before that started?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What happens in safe mode?

4. rdsw1965

rdsw1965 Private E-2

Yes, I did a system restore back to four days prior to the problem with no change.

Yes, I tried safemode with no change.

I'm totally lost.

5. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

I have some difficulties understanding what's happening; can you post a screenshot of what you see?

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I suspect, either a system font is missing or your regional settings are wrong.
    If you can tell by the icons what things are: open control panel then look for the globe which is Regional and Language options and change it.
    Screenshot of the control panel icons for reference
    http://www.windows-vista-update.com/Regional_and_Language_Options.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds