HELP! XP Pro won't recognize my CDRW/DVDRW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bill E., Apr 24, 2006.

1. Bill E.

Bill E. Private E-2

I have an M-tech Laptop with a Toshiba SD-R6472 DVDRW and I can no longer play CD-Rs and Cds through the computer, but I CAN play DVDs through Intermedia WinDVD player. Windows will not autostart any Cds or CD-Roms, nor will it recognize that there is even any media in there. I have reinstalled the drivers, run troubleshooter, and also tried to play CDrs through a second installation that I have on another partition - no dice. The device manager says that the CD-Rom is working properly. This is wierd...If the Toshiba DVDRW were broken, I couldn't play any DVDs -which I can, yet I cannot get any XP to recognize the disk with other media. ANY help would be Greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Have you downloaded all the latest updates from microsoft,most importantly service pack 2?

3. Bill E.

Bill E. Private E-2

Hey Rikky,
    I do have SP2 installed, and this is driving me nuts! It actually played a Cd for a while, but I cannot get it to read a data cd...If it could, I would just reinstall XP Pro/SP2 and be done with it (hopefully), but I can't read any Data CDs, so I can't install anything. I can't play Cds now, either. DVDS, are fine through WinVideo. This is infuriating!!!

-Bill

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

if you d click my computer is it showing your drive? if it is r click the drive and go to properties and see what you can find.

5. Bill E.

Bill E. Private E-2

When I click on 'my computer', the D drive shows up as my cd/dvdrw. It's there, it just wont play Cds or Data Cds.:confused:

-Bill

6. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

there is some optitions in the auto play, go to your drive right click and go to properties and then auto play,it might be set on do nothing . you can change it to do different things when a cd or dvd is inserted.

7. slimysenor

slimysenor Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds