Helppppppppppppp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by erne577, Nov 27, 2008.

1. erne577

erne577 Private E-2

I'm a bit LOSTED in here for an OLD senior.well here goes.I had to buy a new processor but kept my old monitor and speakers. I got a H P processor A6418f and have Windows Vista and A O L.
    The problem is my speakers don't seem to work now with this new processor.Can anyone help me ?I know very little about comp.
    Thank you all.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It would help if you mention the brand and model of the computer. That way, some of us can check things like the motherboard. You might have to install drivers for the motherboard to get the sound to work. It could be a sound chip on the motherboard.

In the future, it also helps to make your title meaningful. Obviously everyone comes here for help. A lot may pass over your thread because you didn't state the problem. Something like "new chip, no sound" would be more helpful and probably get more help than just typing help with extra letters.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:confused The OP mentioned this in the first line of the thread: "I got a H P processor A6418f and have Windows Vista" and I think the OP means "computer" when the word "processor" is used.

Anyway- make sure the speakers are plugged into a power source (like the wall outlet or a surge protector) if they are powered speakers; most speakers are amplified via a power cord. Be sure the speakers power on OK; there should be an indicator light (or LED) that lets you know they are powered on or off. Make sure the audio cable is plugged in to the green port on the back of the PC. Typically, this green port will be in the same panel as the keyboard and mouse connectors on the back of the PC. If it isn't there, then look further down. After you make sure that everything is plugged in as it should be and there still is no sound, you'll have to check the Device Manager. First, click the Windows 'globe' in the lower left corner; right click on Computer; select Properties. In the window that opens, on the left side, you'll see Device Manager (among other choices); click Device Manager. You may get some 'warnings' or 'do you want to continue' messages, that's OK, we want to continue. Once the Device Manager opens, look for any yellow question marks ? or exclamation points ! If you see any, note what is listed with them and post that info here. Look under the Sound section; you should see an entry for RealTek audio controller or something very similar (using the word "Realtek"). If it isn't listed, let us know. Now, close that window and look down in the lower right corner by the clock. There will be a bunch of little symbols, one should look like a speaker. Let us know if you see the speaker symbol and we'll go from there.
    :-D
    Good luck! And welcome to Major Geeks! :wave :major

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Thanks dlb. My apologies to the original poster. :-o Since A6418f didn't sound at all familiar (turns out it is a Canadian model), I didn't read the rest. From new processor mentioned, I took it to mean a new CPU and figured the model was a CPU chip.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds