Here's a very challenging question!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Djard, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Djard

Djard Private E-2

I've posted this question at other forums without getting one useful answer, so I figure it's beyond all but the most savvy Geek.

Can Explorer in Vista be configured so that your selected column settings in the right pane remain fixed?

In the right pane, I set 'Name', 'Size', 'Folder Path', 'Type', and 'Date Modified', using the 'Details' vew. I then clicked Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> selected my preferences (e.g., Show hidden files..., etc.) -> Apply to Folders -> Yes -> OK.

Despite these steps, after my system is awakened from sleep or rebooted, I get the default 'Artist', 'Genre', 'Rating' etc. in the right pane menu, even after searching for a non-media file, like a Word document. Microsoft seems bent on displaying multimedia file info. Surely there is some way to manage your preferences in Explorer. Has anybody been able to outwit Microsoft in this matter?

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Moved to the Software Forum since it is not a malware issue.

This only happens because it is a Music folder in your user account area. You can either create another Music folder somewhere else which will have normal Properties or you can use the Customize feature to change how the folder is displayed. Right now you will see that it shows as Music Details. Just change it to All Items.

3. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

It just occurred to me that you may not understand what I mean.

Right click on the folder ( I assume it is your Music folder ) then select Properties. On the Music Properties form, select the Custom tab. On the Custom tab new the top, see the Use this folder type as a template. Use the pull down box to change it to All Items as in the image and the click Apply.

Attached Files:

4. Djard

Djard Private E-2

Thank you sooooooooooooooooo much. That seems to have done the trick. In my book, you are a Major Geek (intended as a compliment).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds