Hex Editing multiple files

Discussion in 'Software' started by JNKanKul2000, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JNKanKul2000

JNKanKul2000 Private E-2

I recently had a hard drive failure on my media drive. I was able to recover the files, mostly avi and mkv, but I found that about 2/3 of the files are not readable by any of the video players I have, vlc and wmp.

I found that the files that are not readable have headers or garbage at the beginning of the file. I have opened them in a hex editor and found that if I delete the first 1FF lines of the file it is then readable by the video players.

I am wondering if any one knows a way to either batch edit or using a hex editor with scripting that I can place a large number of the files into a folder and then edit every file in the folder. I am currently using win7, but have access to linux OS as well.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

John

2. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

The only HEX editor I could find that can search/replace across multiple files is Hex Editor Neo,
    however, the free edition does not have that capability.
    Compare Editor Neo Editions

The SourceForge Hexplorer "Allows recording macro scripts to automate tasks".

3. JNKanKul2000

JNKanKul2000 Private E-2

mjnc,

I downloaded both the editors you mention. In the Sourceforge Hexplorer I wasn't able to easily select the area I needed to delete (possibly Op Err) and the macro doesn't record mouse movements.

I started a trial of Hex Editor Neo and it has a function that allows me to save my operations and use them similarly as a macro. But not sure if I want to purchase this as the editor I was using before works as well as this one and it's free. The free version of Neo doesn't allow this function.

I have been using HxD Hex Editor and it seems to work the best without having a batch function.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds