Hey people :)..HELP Please !...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bradb71, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Bradb71

Bradb71 Private E-2

......Can i recover photos that were deleted from hard-drive accidently in Feb 2006.

We are using Windows XP 2002 Version 2 and have a C and D drive.

CHeers :):)

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You sure can! Check the Data Recovery section here at MajorGeeks (link: http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads38.html). If you don't mind spending some money, check out Easy Recovery Pro. It is really easy to use, and does a great job. http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/file-recovery-software/ If you need freeware, check out PC Inspector (link: http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/download.htm?language=1). Hopefully, the sectors where the pics were haven't been over-written with new data. If this has happened, you pics are gone forever. You should be able to recover at least some of them. In the future, burn your stuff to CDRW's. That way, if it turns out you don't need the stuff 6 months later, you can erase the CD and use it again ;)

3. Bradb71

Bradb71 Private E-2

Thanks dlb, sorry but this may sound luike a dumb question but do you know how i search specifically for Jpeg files ?....i have run the PC INspector as uts instructions tell me to but it comes up with numerous files and sub-folders and i can't seem to actually view any Jpegs but i know they are there ??....any instructions that may help me ??

4. skippy258

skippy258 Private E-2

Hi there, here is a way I found around you can use.

This reg file will restore the default file associations.

1. Copy the following (everything in the box) into notepdad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpe]
    "PerceivedType"="image"
    @="jpegfile"
    "Content Type"="image/jpeg"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpe\OpenWithProgids]
    "jpegfile"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpe\PersistentHandler]
    @="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg]
    "PerceivedType"="image"
    @="jpegfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg\jpegfile]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg\jpegfile\ShellNew]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg\OpenWithProgids]
    "jpegfile"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg\PersistentHandler]
    @="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]
    "PerceivedType"="image"
    @="jpegfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\jpegfile]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\jpegfile\ShellNew]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\OpenWithProgids]
    "jpegfile"=hex(0):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Save the file as xp_jpg_jpe_jpeg_file_assoc_fix.reg
    3. Double click the file to import into your registry.

NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled.

Now how to edit your Registry safely

Windows XP has a vast number of configuration dialogs, but some adjustments can be performed only by directly editing the Registry. Frequently, tips involving Registry tweaks include stern warnings to back up the Registry before making any change. The Windows XP Backup applet can back up the Registry along with other elements of the System State, but the resulting data file can occupy hundreds of megabytes. You're better off saving a system restore point each time you're about to edit the Registry. Better still, you can use Regedit to back up only the Registry keys that will be changed.

Click on Start | Run and enter Regedit to launch the Registry editor. To back up an individual key you plan to edit, navigate to the key and right-click on it. Choose Export from the menu, and save the key to a REG file. Open the REG file in Notepad and insert a few comment lines that describe the source and purpose of the tweak. (To create a comment line, simply put a semicolon at the start of the line.)

Now go ahead and make all the changes to Registry keys and values specified by the tip you're applying. Any time you add a new key or value, make a note of it with another comment line in the REG file. When you're done, save the REG file and close Notepad.

If later you want to undo this Registry tweak, just double-click on the REG file and confirm that you want to add it to the Registry. This will restore any deleted keys or values and will restore the original data for any values whose data was changed. Note that this will not remove new keys or values that were added; that's why you need to make comments about such changes.

Right-click on the REG file and choose Edit, which will open it in Notepad. Check for comments about keys or values that were added, and if you find any, use Regedit to delete them. You can delete the REG file itself once you've completed this process

Hope this helps you out
    Cya shippy258

I would of sent the reg file so you could just download it but MG dose not let .reg files throw there system.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I haven't used PCInspector in over a year since I purchased Easy Recovery Pro and I don't remember how to use it. :eek: :confused But I went to their web site and they say the program has extensive help files built-in; dig thru those and I'm sure something will be there. You may have to recover whatever is available, then search the recovered files for the pics...
    Good Luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds