hi-grade laptop powers up but nothing happen on screen?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JWLRPLUSONE, Apr 15, 2009.

1. JWLRPLUSONE

JWLRPLUSONE Private E-2

Hi all,
    Well my laptop is still fairly new, however when I turn it on the lights flash and then the power light and wireless light stay on but nothing happens on the screen. I have tried taking the ram modules out and putting them in different slots, which worked briefly lastnight, however when I went to put the back on the laptop froze and when I switched it off and on again the same thing happened again. Any advice please? thank you :confused

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Can you test that laptop with just one module in there, and if that dosen't work, swap it out for another one?

3. JWLRPLUSONE

JWLRPLUSONE Private E-2

Hi, Thanks for replying. I have tried it with just one memory module in. And it fired up, then froze on the main screen. The one with the start menu etc. It wouldnt even let me ctrl+alt+del. SO i had to push the power button to turn it off. When i tried to re boot it the power light and wireless light do the same and it doesnt start. The fans all working so Somethings happening im just not sure what? :confused :(

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

That definitely sounds like a memory problem.

Can you swap the one memory module for the other one and see if the same thing happens again?

5. JWLRPLUSONE

JWLRPLUSONE Private E-2

Hiya, yeah I have tried swapping the modules, i had one in and nothing, so put two in and nothing then tried them with one in but the other way round, and nothing and then both again but the other way round and it fires up then freezes again. So would I need to buy two new memory modules?

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

You may have a problem with the memory controller.

If the lappy still under warranty?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds