HI, I'm new here need some help/suggestions please

Discussion in 'Software' started by keilowkei, Jun 15, 2010.

1. keilowkei

keilowkei Private E-2

Ok I have avira antivirus an windows defender.It said when I installed avira to turn of defenders real time protection.Should i do that an keep running defender?or leave defenders real time on an turn avira's off?Or turn off defender an get like spybot s&d,spyware blaster? because on the must have free downloads it says pick 2.I thought defender was like spybot?Idk.Next question is should i keep windows firewall or are the free one on this site better?Last I'm still having problems with the flash player on my internet explorer the most recent version.I thought adobe fixed it?Ive downloaded it uninstalled it reinstalled it nothing.Do I have to download a new java or what should i do?Get rid of IE an get chrome??Ok thats it lol sorry so much but if u can help with any of this its greatly appreciated...Thank you alot :major

2. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Hi Keilowkei and Welcome to Major Geeks.

It would be helpfull to folks if you could tell us which OS(Operating System) you're using and which version of IE. The more details you can give the more accurate the help can be.

First though, you do not want to "get rid of IE". It is an integral part of Windows and un-installing IE would cripple Windows. You can use another browser(Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc.) or several for that matter without removing IE.

Java, JavaScript and Flash Player are all different entities and should all be kept up to date(latest versions), with all old versions being removed(un-installed) before installing new versions. You will need to give a little more detail of your problem with Flash Player. You mention that you thought Adobe fixed it, fixed what? They've been fixing security issues.

Firewalls, well it depends on your version of OS. Both Vista & Windows 7 have a substantially better firewall than XP, so if using XP it would probably be a good idea to use a third party firewall. A number of folks seem to prefer a third party firewall to Vista's and many folks seem to be happy with the Windows 7 firewall. There are a lot more people here that have much more experience with the different versions of Windows than me so best to get recommendations from them.

Avira or Defender, personally I would rely on Avira and shut Defender's real time protection down, but that's just me. Install Spyware Blaster and keep it and Avira's definitions up to date.

Check back frequently, other members(much more knowledgeable) are sure to have some good answers.

3. keilowkei

keilowkei Private E-2

Ok sorry about not putting the os an IE version down:-o.I shoulda thought about that.oops,Ok I have vista home premium sp2 and IE7.The problem I got with flashplayer is its not working in IE7 or when browsing on aol it says add-on for this website failed to run.Check IE settings for conflict.Or like on youtube it says I need flash player to view this video.I have tried downloaing it from there.Still nothing.Even on sites I have set as trusted in IE security settings.The add on manager says its enable installed and working the flash player version 10.1.53.64 add-on that is.I have disabled the add on,uninstalled it and installed it atleast 3 times.Its still not working.Also is vista's firewall as good as the free firewalls on this site?Last is im trying to keep my comp adware/spyware/malware an so on free.Most web sites or articles say have 1 anti virus program which I have avira.2 Programs like spyware balster or spybot s&d is windows defender like those programs?And when I installed avira it said turn the defender on demand scan off.Do I turn the on demand scanner off keep it an run manual scans?This or these programs confuse me.Is it that u cant have 2 programs on demand scanners or guards running at the same time?last is "My web search" which is in my program files but not in the program uninstaller ad/spy/mal or some kinda ware thats bad 4 my computer? Thank you for any advice /info its greatly appreciated.

4. plastidust

Hi Keilowkei

Avira AnitVir has real time anti-virus and anti-spyware protection so you don't need(or want) Defender's real time protection running too. "Real time protection" and "on demand scan" are two different features. "Real Time protection" means the application is continuously guarding your system. "On demand scan" means you tell the application to perform a one(single) time search of the machine, or a particular file/folder for any instances of malware.

Two good "on demand scanners" are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware. With these you run periodic "on demand" system scans, say once or twice a week. You can also use these to scan individual files on your computer. You can have both of these installed and they will not interfere with Avira or each other. The free versions of these two programs do not offer real time protection and have to be updated manually. You should have at least one of these if not both installed and kept updated. If you have to choose just one I would make it MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. These can be used in place of Defender's on demand scan.

Windows Defender is not like SpywareBlaster or Spybot Search & Destroy. Defender is a real time anti-spyware application that has on demand and schedualed scanning capabilities. In that respect, it is similar to Avira but Avira is both anti-virus & anti-spyware.

SpywareBlaster is an immunization tool that you install, run once a week to check for updates and make sure that all of it's protection is enabled and then exit the program. You should definitely use this.

Vista's firewall is adequate but not as easily configured as the firewalls available here at Major Geeks. Some here would say that PC Tools Firewall Plus is the best over all for ease of use and still gives good protection. I happen to agree, but that doesn't necessarily make it true. PC Tools Firewall Plus will also install(if you let it) a companion version of Threatfire. If you decide to use the PC Tools Firewall don't install the Threatfire that comes with it. I happen to like ThreatFire but I use the individual version. My understanding is the one that comes with the firewall and the "PC Tools Internet Security" suite is not as robust or configurable as the individual version.

So, what you want installed are:

One and only one software firewall. Either Vista's or one of the ones here at Major Geeks. If you install PC Tools Firewall it will disable Vista's.
    One and only one Anti-virus with guard(real time protection) Avira in this case.
    One and only one Anti-spyware with guard(real time protection) Avira again is filling this roll.

At least two "on demand" scanners, MalwareBytes Antimalware & SUPERAntiSpyware work well. You can have multiple "on demand" scanners.
    And last the immunization program(only need one) SpywareBlaster.

Defender's "on demand" scanner should not be running all of the time. If it is then there is a problem(maybe malware).
    This is not good for your computer.

Given what you've said so far, I think it would be a good idea for you to complete the steps in the READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide. Then start a new thread in the Malware Removal Forum, attaching(HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post) the requested logs that were made while doing the steps in the Read & Run Me First guide.

I know you want to get the Flash player working but, if you don't get the security end of the deal straightened out first, you may not have a good working computer to install the Flash player on to.

5. keilowkei

keilowkei Private E-2

Thank you plastidust for the help.I would've did this sooner but i went on vacation.So I got a ware remover program an it said i have a trojan called wininit.exe but when i tried to remove it said it was gone.So I'm following the malware removal guide.I got a question aol installs the viewpoint media player i uninstalled it but it is still in program files under aol jiti.Should I dlete it out of there.Also I removed the old java's I had 16 I tried to save the one in the malware removal page but after i uninstalled the old java then tried to install the new one it said it was the wrong one.I'm going to try this again an see what happens an tell you exactly what is said.Last thing is I cant uninstall windows defender should i turn it off or take avira off to do the malware removal.Oh and U know how flash player wont work for me in my IE,I'm using google chrome with no problems.ok thats all thank u for your help.

6. plastidust

First things first keilowkei. Hope you enjoyed your vacation. Now it's time to go back to work. :-D

If you have malware on the computer(looks as though you do), trying to do anything besides removing the malware will, at best, end up with un-predictable results, at worst, trash your machine beyond usability requiring a re-format and re-install of Windows.

You really need to complete all the steps in the "Removal Guide" that you can. If there is one or some that you can not complete, try doing it or them in Windows "Safe Mode". If you still can't complete a step or steps then move on to the next step. Be sure to make notes of any steps you had trouble with. Then, when you start your new thread in the Malware Removal forum attaching the required logs also include any notes that you've made. Try to be as concise as you can with your notes. For instance,
    is not concise. Was it MalwareBytes AntiMalware? or some other. What was/were the exact message(s) given by the program. It is easier for helpers to understand exact messages than to interpret a paraphrase of a message.

Also important, once you've started the malware removal procedure, do not make any changes to your computer unless you are instructed to do so in the "Removal Guide" or by a Malware Removal Expert in the Malware Removal forum.

Aol and viewpoint media player. You're talking to the wrong person, as far as I'm concerned, aol is an infestation in and of itself and should be removed. As long as aol is installed the viewpoint media player will continue to be re-installed, especially if you use aim(aol instant messenger).

As far as java, the Java Runtime Environment is what you should be trying to install. Might want to try using JavaRA before installing the latest version of JRE(Java Runtime Environment).

Don't try to un-install Defender just disable it. Keep Avira installed, although during some steps of the "Removal Guide" it may need to be disabled too.

Until you've been given the "all clear" in the Malware Removal forum, not much else can be done. If you make changes, other than those given in the "guide" or by a Malware Removal expert, it will only complicate matters and take longer to resolve your problems.

Please note that my comments about aol are my opinion only and do not necessarily reflect the those of MajorGeeks.com.

7. keilowkei

keilowkei Private E-2

Thank you I did have a good time.I used assassin malware remover an it said I had wininit.exe an said it was a trojan but when I clicked to delete it,it said it wasn't there.So I just started the malware removal guide an I got java installed after the 3rd time an i'm downloading the programs they tell you to right now.I turn defender off.I uninstalled view point an took it out of the aol 9.5 program file .So I should have everything done in the morning.I agree with you about aol its a pain.After i start my computer an all the start up programs start,I'm getting 2 boxes in the taskbar 1 has a aol symbol an says cdp 1 the other just a aol symbol u can get rid of them but it puts up a blue box that stays unless you click show desk top.Then i start aol an it says i dont have enough memeory or to many windows open to complete the task.I looked at my memeory an there is no way thats it because im using 26% of the total memory an I have no other windows open.So I have to start aol an cant use it i got to use my browser for everything.I googled cdp 1 aol an a lot of people are complaning.But really that neither here nor there I'm just want to get the malware removal guide done.I'll worry about the other stuff later.So as I said I should be done by morning and be back.Thanks for helping me out..

8. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi

I have moved your post with your logs here:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=218605

All malware help is done in that forum. One of the experts will take a look at them when it comes up in the queue. Don't post anymore in that thread (unless you have another log) until someone has responded.

9. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Flash Player comes in three different ways to your system:
    • Internet Explorer: install ActiveX control
    • Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc: plugin install
    • Chrome: bundled with the browser
    If Flash Player "does not work" with Internet Explorer, it is possible that an old version was incompletely removed. Try this
    But I agree with the earlier posters that you should probably get your malware situation fixed before you turn your attention to Flash Player.

10. keilowkei

keilowkei Private E-2

I am in the process of using the malware removal pages.I'm waiting for a replie.But if my flashplayer in IE still isnt working,I will try that thanks.

11. keilowkei

keilowkei Private E-2

Ok sorry if I put it in the wrong place.THANK YOU VERY MUCH LAURAr

12. keilowkei

keilowkei Private E-2

. Pwillener,It was a malware problem an flash player is working in my I.E now.Thanks for the info though could be helpful in the future.Thank You

13. keilowkei

keilowkei Private E-2

LauraR,Is there a way to remove a post??

14. LauraR

What post are you wanting to remove? On the top right corner of each post you will see a number. Let me know.

15. keilowkei

keilowkei Private E-2

LauraR I have a thread in malware removal called logs attached with a question icon .I needed to edit it but I didn't know about the 10 min rule can u let me edit it or just delete it so i can start over either will work.If you are here an can.Please an thank you.#5

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  16. LauraR

Hi. You want to delete Post #5 in that thread? I can do that, but you can just add what you want in another post.

17. keilowkei

keilowkei Private E-2

thanks an thanks for the advice to

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds