Hi, my screen goes black after I use a dos program.

Discussion in 'Software' started by vector1, Nov 7, 2013.

1. vector1

vector1 Private E-2

After I open a dos program I get a black screen if I Alt tab or exit it. I can not see my desktop. If I alt. tab again I get the dos screen back again. Rebooting the computer by pressing the off button (the only way it reboots) restores the Windows screens and everything runs fine until I open a dos program again. It all started when I uninstalled a windows update, after that mistake the graphics driver needed to be reinstalled. That did not fix the problem. I have reinstalled the windows update but that did nothing. I tried to restore to an earlier time but it could not restore even after choosing several dates. I ran through the malware procedure out lined on this website and did not have any. I am using XP completely updated. My dos program is run from a server using Novell and a ERP program that I have been using for years with this computer an Emachine T3624. I had a problem with it hanging during long reports After googling I found info that a windows update could be the problem. That is why I uninstalled the update. Obviously that messed up some files. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, vector1, and welcome to MajorGeeks.

Do you have a Windows XP installation disk? If so you might consider running a System File Check (SFC) if you haven't already done so.

And for info could you supply the Windows Update KB# for the update in question?

3. vector1

vector1 Private E-2

I do have the discs and will try the process. How do I get it started? The

update was KB2724197. A couple of times today, I was able to toggle

between screens but then it stopped working.

4. Caliban

Good morning.

A quick tutorial for running the SFC is located here.

5. vector1

vector1 Private E-2

Hi,
    Thank you for the reply. I did the scan and nothing changed.

6. Caliban

Quick question: if you physically disconnect that machine from the internet do you get the same symptoms?

Be patient: I'm sure other MGs will offer suggestions.

7. vector1

vector1 Private E-2

I get online through a Novell 5.1 network which is shared by 5 other users. I think I will have to wait until no one needs access and turn the router off and then see what happens.

Thanks

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You don't need to turn off the router. You either remove the cat cable from the back of your computer or turn off the wifi adapter on your computer. That will disconnect your computer from the internet and have no effect on anyone else's computer!

9. vector1

vector1 Private E-2

I disconnected my cable and signed in to my dos program with the same result. If I toggle to see Windows the screen goes completely black for a fraction of a second while it tries to change, then slightly lightens when it does change. This is still the same as with the cable installed. Sometimes it does work but once it does not work I have to reboot again. If I have not opened any files or programs I can shut down by pressing the Windows key, pressing the U key and then Enter. I have not been able to detect a pattern of when it works and when it does not work.
    Thank you for trying to help me.

10. vector1

vector1 Private E-2

Hi I solved the problem. After I defraged the drive with Smart Defrag noticed a tool included that updates any old drivers so I tried it. It found a better driver for my Graphics card and no more black screen. I also found through an other forum that my driver settings for the HDD was set to PIO instead of DMA which could happen after a few improper shut downs like I had. Changing that helped make everything run smoother again.
    Thank you for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds