Hide computer from network on windows 8 ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bradztheman, Dec 11, 2014.

1. bradztheman

bradztheman Private E-2

I have a privacy problem, I live in a house share, and I don't want other users on the internet connection network to see that im online, on network computers and devices. I do the usual procedure to hide this ( by turning network discovery off), but this does not seem to work on windows 8! ive tested it on a friends laptop when he came over, I am still visible! are there any programs, or anything else I can do to make my computer not appear??

2. bradztheman

bradztheman Private E-2

nobody knows the answer????

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

As far as I can see turning off network discovery only stops you from seeing other network computers. It doesn't stop them from seeing you. Just tested this on a Win 7 machine and it can still be seen from two others, an XP VM and another Win 7 machine. Seeing the computer though doesn't reveal anything at all about what it is doing or expose any of its files unless password protected sharing has been turned off.

This isn't how it's supposed to work though, it is supposed to hide your computer too.

4. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Who has administrative control or physical access to the modem/router?

5. bradztheman

bradztheman Private E-2

It's meant to work and say what it does, but it doesn't for some reason.

I just dont want them to see my online late at night and i dont want them to be able to take remote access or see my files or anything, mainly i dont want them to see my computer is on.

One or two or the housemates have the administrative passwords for router login whys that?

6. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Yeah, I'm guessing too that it may be possible to hide on the LAN with firewall settings, but if others have access to the router then no chance at all of becoming invisible imo.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  8. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

9. bradztheman

bradztheman Private E-2

Already seen that video and tried it, does 't work :-(

Dont see the point in there being settings on the conputer to hide it from the network if it doesnt do what it says on the tin.

10. bradztheman

bradztheman Private E-2

11. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Go to your adapter settings and uncheck files & printer sharing for MS networks? In the 'old' day you would uncheck netbios.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/265284

Last I remeber something like naming the PC with the $pcname would hide it... can't recall if this is correct and google isn't helping. The reason I think it is $ because the default c$ share..so maybe it was pcname$??

This link has another solution. http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/172544-computer-name-hide-unhide-network.html it works if people don't know the name of your PC, if they do, change it.

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If anyone looks at the outgoing router logs, they will see what computers went out and what IP the computer went to.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds