high cpu temperatures with prescott

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tom2199, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Tom2199

Tom2199 Private E-2

hello again all.

my CPU is a 3.4Ghz Prescott 775 pentium 4, for some reason i was getting temperatures of over 70C when playing a game- my idle is around 45C easy

im using a thermaltake pipe 101 with a streetfighter fan both good.
    http://www.thermaltake.com/product/cooler/combo/cl-p0006/cl-p0006.asp

iv stopped playing to fiddle heres what could be the problem?

#1 the connectors given dont seem to secure the heatsink to the board properly, you can still slide it about left and right slightly which i thought would not be a problem as im sure contact is made.

The connectors for the 775 are 2 metal bars horizontally across the board and the heatsink has a bar that sits vertically going through the center but does not seem keep it in place fully.

#2 when i put the heat paste on i took the heatsink back off again, also i dont see why this should be a problem.

When i feel the heatsink fins they are cool, are these sort of temperatures normal? whilst playing the game seemed fine

maybe i should do some diy e.g put some spare copper heatsink under the bar so its a tighter fit? what do u guys think

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

with my prescott (3.0ghz @ 3.6 socket 478) im idling around 41C with my stock heatsink and Arctic Silver 5. Before with just generic thermal paste i was idling @ about 50 so if you dont have AS5, you should get some. Those temps are kinda unreasonable for what you have there, does your case have good airflow? at least 2 fans, one intake, one exhaust along with the PSUs fan. Also, make sure the thermal paste is COMPLETELY covering the CPU, not TOO much but enough for total coverage

3. Tom2199

Tom2199 Private E-2

hi i think i solved this one i pressed record under the asus probe 2 menu and it killed my cpu, didnt realise i still had it on im idling around 40 and gaming around 57 now :eek:

4. Tom2199

Tom2199 Private E-2

hmm seems when i stand my case up i get those temps but flat my temps are ok
    guess the heatsink is lose

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds