High CPU usage from SYSTEM

Discussion in 'Software' started by colormeruby, Apr 30, 2010.

1. colormeruby

colormeruby Private E-2

Hi Major Geeks,
    Back once again trying to figure out why my CPU is running between 20-99 under the heading "system" (in the task manager)
    Where do I even start to figure out what part of the "system"?

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. colormeruby

colormeruby Private E-2

Hi! Yes, I have done the read me and run me first in the malware section, posted my logs and was told I didn't have any issues there. I HAVE just recently downloaded the Norton anti-virus that was included with the comcast subscription. That seems to hog a crap pile of resources but am unsure about running one of the ones posted on this site, but i guess it couldn't be worse than this.
    I did download the process explorer but am unsure what to do next. I went to black viper, but i didn't really understand what to do once I got there. Could you help me with a little more detailed information?
    one thing that I did notice was that it seemed to be the system Idle that was running the highest cpu . Not sure what that means though.
    All your help is much appreciated and i will do my best to do as you suggest.
    Thanks! :)

5. XTAL256

XTAL256 Private First Class

Heh, heh, yeah i have seen a lot of people mention that. System Idle process is just the amount of CPU that your computer is not using, i.e. it's idle :)

Now, about the system process. Double-click it in Process Explorer to open it's property window. Now go to the "Threads" tab. What is the thread that is using the most CPU? Post what is listed under the "Start Address" column for the item/s which have high CPU listed.

6. colormeruby

colormeruby Private E-2

I am still in need of help with this, but have been dealing with Cancer and death in my family and have just returned to my home. I have attached what I am supposing is the log for the process explorer that I did today. Dumprep.exe was running multiple windows and using all available memory and it completely froze everything. I have gone through my computer and have done a mass deletion of huge files and programs I am no longer using.
    I did do a CCcleaner analyzer of my registry and it seems that I have a large amount of registry errors. I did not fix any of them.
    Does the process explorer log give you any more ideas to help me?

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds