High End Vid cards 6800 or x800?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Omegamerc, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Which one is the better buy performance vs value?

6800GT are at 430-450$ a pop; while x800pros/xt are 450-480$ a pop. My question is which ones the better deal? can a 6800GT be softmoded into an Ultra? if so which one?

2. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

I would go for the GT. :) I have read of people softmoding the GT to Ultra Speeds. You have to upgrade you cooling though. They run really hot as it is.

:cool:

cooked

3. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

$430-$450? where are you shopping?

i got my BFG 6800GT OC for $360 shipped from FRY's www.outpost.com

the GT has the same specs as the ultra, so a simple overclock will bring you to ultra speeds.

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

5. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Wow thanks; how reliable are they? I cant find that card on the price you just quoted on..link would help! doh just realized who you are; ill AIM you.

6. Ironsnipe

Ironsnipe Private First Class

Too bad ATI has to cheat in their drivers to compete with nvidia. Pretty bad when the GT which isn't even the faster card can smoke the X800XTPE in some tests. Then again you have to look at what type of game you play and the such. ATI runs faster in some games while nVidia will run faster in other games. All i care is that graphics speeds are increasing dramatically and good competition drives prices down.

7. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

I've always been an nVIdia fan myself, and the fact that the cards are so close to eachother (with nvidia seeming to hold on to the title of champion by a hair), i obviously went with my preference.

currently, outpost.com does not have the deal, but i've seen it cycle twice, so its worth the wait. they are an EXTREMELY reliable site, as FRY's is the biggest competition for BestBuy nationwide... they'll soon reach the east coast and take over as they did in California recently.

8. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

They'll have a way to go to beat Circuit City. hehe It seems like not such a good idea to be buying electronics from a place called "Fry's". :p

9. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

laugh all you want... FRY's is amazing. just visit one and you'll understand

10. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Fry's is great!!!!!!!

200GB Segate SATA HDD for a friend's B-day. 49.99 :D

He loved it, 5 year waranty to!

:cool:

cooked

11. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

my problem with the 6800 is the rediculous power requirements... i see no reason for that

12. Ironsnipe

Ironsnipe Private First Class

The power requirments are higher, but trust me you don't need a 480W power supply to run a 6800 Ultra. A good quality 350W powersupply by like antec or pcpowercooling will work just fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds