High Modem Activity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrPewty, Nov 20, 2010.

1. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

My cable internet refused to work the other day, and a phone call to Tech Support revealed that from their end, everything looked fine, but there was "High Activity" shown by the modem. A visit from a roving tech was arranged.

Within an hour or two the internet was back on, and the visit was cancelled(I'm in a rural location and it wouldn't be good to bring someone all the way out to my place just to ask the question I am asking here)

So I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea what that "High Activity" could have been? One hears of computers being used remotely for nefarious means.

Thanks all...

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

ISP were kicking people off with infected machines at one point, but they would tell you too. It could of been anything on the line. Around here they will not dispatch a tech 'for the heck of it', they have to see an issue & troubleshoot it remotely before they send anyone. But you could run a full virus scan & maybe Malware Antibytes to feel a bit safer. Sometimes issues seem to resolve themselves, you'll never know what they were doing to cause the issue.

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Agreed with foogoo. We also live in the boonies, and our DSL gets destroyed at least a couple of times a week (sometimes more), and invariably AT&T says there's nothing wrong.
    In fact, there have been a few occasions when we got kicked off, AT&T said everything's kosher, and yet we saw service trucks working on the phone frames by the highway. rolleyes

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds