High Ping/Jitter due to a router issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darktide, Mar 16, 2010.

1. darktide

darktide Private E-2

I am currently running a e8500 at 3.16 GHz
    I recently got internet with Comcast (not my choice) and when I use the internet IN my apartment I get crazy high ping/jitter rates. However when I "steal" the internet from my neighbor I get very good ones. For example:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I understand my download and upload speeds are VERY low, what could possibly be causing this? To sum up my speedtest results are low on BOTH my personal router and my neighbors. However my pingtest results are 100times better when I use his router.

I know theres probably a LOT more information I could supply but could it be my router causing this problem? Is the problem more likely a cable or router issue? I would hate to have to buy a new router and find out it was my ISP the entire time.I should note that BOTH me and my unwitting neighbor have Comcast. Basically I'm looking for some troubleshooting guidance here. Thanks.

2. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

A tracert might provide you with some valuable information on where your lag is being encountered (assuming the routers along the way and the destination are accepting ICMP). Have you tried checking your speed while hard-wired to your router?

Is your router secured? Maybe one of your neighbors is soaking up your bandwidth! :-D

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds