high pitch?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by problemswithvaio, Jul 28, 2005.

1. problemswithvaio

problemswithvaio Corporal

ok after i burnt out my brand new geforce 6600 gt, returned a perfectly fine computer, and had smoke coming off my mohterboard I have just about everything finally fixed, but I'm sitting here and have one more problem. I hear a high pitched noise whenever the fan speeds up, my computer is almost silent if not, unless next to it, but sometimes the fans will speed up and when they do there is what seems to be an almost high pitched noise and I don't know what to think of this.

2. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

Sounds like a bearing gone in one of the fans, try replacing one at a time...listen very carefully to where the sound is coming from, if its coming from your PSU, replace it immediately, those things use coils (wire wound round an iron/carbon core) to convert voltages, if one of those is resonating it will produce that sound and is dangerous to your system as resonance on a PSU will un doubtedly cause the voltage to change at its outputs, risking blowing your entire system again!

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

So this is a new computer?specs would help,if you aint heard it running normally that high pitched squeal is most probably normal,any fan below 80mm I would class as a high pitched whine,north bridge,cpu fan,video card fan,the most likely culprit is the cpu fan the stock a64 fan is a 72mm squealer!,simple test open the side ofyour case when it squeals and stick your finger in the middle of the fan to slow it down see if the squeal goes away,try it with all your fans,then its up to you to change your cooling,or put up with.

Amd xp,all psu's resonate with frequency of the mains power50hz,you just cant hear it over the noise of your fans,the chance of your psu resonating so fast it emits a high pitched squeal are slim to none,they are stuck vibrating at 50hz.

4. problemswithvaio

I just checked again I gurantee its the CPU fan... it only happens when i start something such as a game, or something and I can hear it speed up... I don't know if it's a threat, but if it isn't is there a way to stop it... it is kind of annoying thanks. system spec.... 3.0 ghz multi processor with a gig of ram now Im running on my integrated graphics card.

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

No its not a problem if it didnt spin up that would be a problem,its just running faster to cool the cpu down,if the noise bothers you you may want to look into some aftermarket cooling,its impossible for me to tell if the fans going without hearing it live,if the moise has just started recently it could either be because of the hot weather and the fans spinning faster or the bearing is going "which I doubt"depends how long you have had it,if your really worried just buy a replacement fan,measure one side of the fan then buy one at that size,make sure it has a 3 pins plug on though. :)

6. problemswithvaio

thanks it didn't bother me just worried me... it's been like this all along thanks for that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds