high priority?

Discussion in 'Software' started by nygorn, Jan 16, 2005.

1. nygorn

nygorn Private E-2

hello..i need help to find an program that allows me to start games with high priority...cuz i've got 256 ddr-ram and try to play EQ2 on that! so any one got an web site or so?

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Erm, I'm pretty sure 256MB ram is fine for that... starting in high priority mode won't really help...

Make sure you've scanned for spyware, viruses and all the sort of crap...

If you're dead set on using high priority.... simply use the following batch file
    Code:
    start /HIGH C:\Path_to_game\program.exe
    [/code[

Save it as whatever.bat and then make your shortcut point to that.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

I am pretty sure for everquest it requires 512 as a minum

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yep, repost.

EQ2 will not run on 256mb, and runs like crap on 512.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52452

Increasing game priority is pointless seeing how games run at 100% cpu usage. Any performance increases you see are not real. Its the classic palcebo effect.

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Unless you have somthing running in the background at "AboveNormal" ;)

7. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Personally I would't ever change any priorities because you can cause some problems. Just buy more ram :(

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Which would imply the poster knew how to change priorities, which invalidates his original question :p

9. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ah, what if the process was started in the priority mode without user intervention?

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

For example?

*nudge* :p

IIRC, only winamp starts with a realtime priority. Which if you are running that during games, you need to have your head looked at. ;)

11. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Winamp doesn't run real time I run it during my gaming sessions all the time. There is a option to set it to run real time in prefs. though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds