Hiss in audio files?

Discussion in 'Software' started by genEEneg, Aug 8, 2005.

1. genEEneg

genEEneg Private E-2

Hey, I know this is probably an unusual problem here and I have probably put it in the wrong subforum but I could really do with some help none the less =).

I just wondered if anyone knew how to take a hiss out of audio files?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time =).

Yours Faithfully.

gN-_^.

2. genEEneg

genEEneg Private E-2

Ok, I read up in the sticky's and saw the bit abot lots of information.

It is audio files, all mp3, pulled off records. Someone told me soundforge was the way to go, but nfi how to use it... any help there I s'pose would be handy too...

3. genEEneg

genEEneg Private E-2

Please can anyone please help me, I really need the help!!! =(

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

You need to do a low pass at say, 10,000Hz to start off with. If you can, EQ the tracks to de-emphasise the frequencies the hiss is most prominent in. You might then want to use some hiss-removal software to try and remove some of the hiss.

Hiss can be tricky to remove. It is basically noise, and as such not very predictable. Hiss removal technologies usually involve analysing sound levels, expanding and compressing and using psyschometric analysis and adaptive EQ to try to preserve the original sound while removing the hiss where it is most noticable (or percievable).

I suggest trying Audacity, ,a freeware audio editor.
    Failing that, my personal favourite is Cool Edit Pro, but that has been bought by Adobe, and now is Adobe udition. You might be able to grab a demo/trial. If you read the help, you can work out how to do a batch job, which would be useful if the tracks were recorded in a single session, and as such have similar hiss throughout.

As such with any bit of new software, read the help file! Guess what - it helps! :D

5. genEEneg

genEEneg Private E-2

Thanks heaps for your reply goldfish, sure there's some words in there that I didn't know existed but I looked 'em up and it all makes sense, i'll give it a go and get back to ya =).

6. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I guess you don't use Windows. :)

7. genEEneg

genEEneg Private E-2

rofl. true that insomniac.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds