History..missing today and yesterday?

Discussion in 'Software' started by greybuffalo, Jan 2, 2010.

1. greybuffalo

greybuffalo Staff Sergeant

I cannot figure out why my history is missing today and yesterday?past that, it is there?
    Anyone know why that is?

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think both IE and FF have Private Browsing options. I have never used them so I don't know if the setting is remembered from one session to another but check your options to make sure you do not have it set to Private.

3. greybuffalo

I have XP,where would I do that ?

4. greybuffalo

Wow!

Im running the avg free anti-virus.
    If someone had in the past been reading things I typed on my computer,as they had my IP id,then I changed it,would a teck guy be able again to trace my new IP address?

5. sach2

Do you use IE or Firefox? I just had a look at IE and it does not seem to have the option of leaving In Private browsing set to the default of on. So if you use Internet Explorer then your history problem arises from a different cause.

If you use FF just check that the Private box is unchecked in Tools>Options>Privacy tab.

If it is already unchecked than again your history problem comes from another cause. I was jsut thinking that the Private Browsing function might of been the culprit.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Browser you use, it would have to be IE8 and its found by clicking Tools > In Private Browsing or Ctrl+Shift+P and its a per session thing, so once browser is closed you would need to activate it again,

In Fx then its similar in Tools > In Private Browsing and suprisingly enough Ctrl+shift+P and can be a perminent thing.

If you 'd have used the likes of ccleaner then all would be gone, so have you been changing your IP as that could be the reason depending on how you where doing it, would have to think what you where doing for last two days you where not doing before, using proxies? trying to mask your IP? etc

7. greybuffalo

Im still on IE6,a lot of sites keep telling me to upgrade?
    No I never have used a proxie.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It's a new year. Perhaps it is sorted and appears at a place you do not expect it to be. Sometimes when things are sorted by date, it is a strange arrangement.

9. sach2

Very clever, plodr! :clap

10. greybuffalo

Resolved!

What I did for those this happens to in the future........
    I deleted "History"! and viola,it began working again.:hyper

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds