HLP, Different kind of brand of RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dimshadow, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Dimshadow

Dimshadow Private E-2

Just bought a new stick of 512MB kingston 333Mhz DDR RAM, after putting it into the slot, it's slower than before.

Found out that all of my RAM are in different brand, the other two i have are 256 Mb at the same speed.

There are 4 slots of RAM, all in black.

Question is, how do i tune down the brand effects of them?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Most want matched pairs in slot 1+2 and other matched pair (OR) single in 3-4...some want the match in 1+3 ....would have to know the mobo.

3. Dimshadow

Dimshadow Private E-2

mobo is................IDK

I'll just list whatever says on the board:
    Intel D865GBF/DB65PERC
    E210882

whatever that was said before, can i have an english translation plz?

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

most motherboards like to have the same memory in each paired slot. Ill attempt to make a picture here lol

[​IMG]

depending on the mobo (you'd have to check the manual to find out but you can test yourself to figure out how it like its memory) memory runs in pairs most of the time. Some like to run paired sticks in slots 1 and 2, then 3 and 4 while others prefer it in 1 and 3, 2 and 4.

Try the matched pair in slots 1 and 2 with the other in slot 4. If that is still slow try the matched pair in slots 1 and 3, with the other stick still in slot 4. Hope this helps.

o yea, welcome to Major Geeks :cool:

5. Dimshadow

Dimshadow Private E-2

ah, now it's more in english, thanks.

what does it mean to pair them up? Like 256 + 256?

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

7. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

true, yes, but it doesnt hurt to buy memory rated at a higher speed than you are running it at. Shouldnt cost any more either

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds