hmmm..internet banking

Discussion in 'Software' started by bellyboy, Jan 18, 2006.

1. bellyboy

bellyboy Private E-2

What can we do to protect ourselves from trojans, spyware, etc., while on the web and Internet banking. I currently run spybot, ccleaner, adware, avgfree antivirus, windows firewall.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Welcome

Well you are already doing a fair amount to protect yourself :)

I would also give this guide a read as it has alot of good into How to protect yourself against Malware

other points are...

Keep your Operating System and all security software ( AntiVirus/Spyware ) upto date.

If using IE.. goto Tools > Internet Options > Advanced and tick "Do not save encrypted pages to disk"

Or use an alternative browser as in Firefox or Opera ( I favour Opera ).

Other software to use in security are
    A2 - A-Squared ( this can be used in conjunction with your normal AV )

Microsoft Antispyware ( very good )

and change your password on a regular basis and above all excercise safe surfing habbits and do not reply to emails proporting to be from your bank checking on your account and wanting you to enter your user and password... banks dont do this!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  3. bellyboy

bellyboy Private E-2

thanks halo-happy belated b-day :)

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Thanks.

and to answer your PM, well I still use IE and have used i/net banking for near 6yrs, but its fully upto date with all patches... granted IE does have many more virii trying to exploit its weaknesses as its the most popular browser so attracts more attention from the malware wiriters, but if you read these security advisories that come out, most only say "could affect" so using the alternatives is a slightly more safer way to surf, however they still have unpatched bugs in them too...

you can use both IE and an alternative such as Firefox or Opera ( both free ) and see if you like them, personally as I said earlier I like Opera over Firefox (FF) as it does render pages quicker than FF and according to http://secunia.com/ who keep lists of bugs in software Opera only has 1 outstanding bug over 3 from FF and 21 for IE

will these bugs or vunerabilities affect you, may do.. may not do, there could be times when it doesnt matter what browser you use as virii attack you in many guises from webpages to wrapped up in software you innocently download, but you are doing the correct things in having the good security software available installed and keeping a virus free PC and all your apps and OS upto date and I'd imagine keeping your PC free junk in using CCleaner plus its well worth just getting to know all the software that is asking your firewall for outgoing access, then its easier to spot the new and unknowns ( always if the firewall alerts you to a new app wanting access... double check what it is and who created it before allowing access ).

hope my thoughts help somewhat, you may get some more options from others, but I hope they do give some addition background info as to what browser to use and why over just stating its bettar[sic]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds