Ho to send word documents if the recipient's computer will not accept word documents.

Discussion in 'Software' started by mia2madison, Oct 20, 2009.

1. mia2madison

mia2madison Private E-2

I wrote several documents using Word. I tried to send them to someone. They were unable to receive documents using the Word program. Is there a way I can still send them my documents without having to send them in the mail? Scanning the documents then sending them from "My Pictures" will take a long time because the two documents are numerous pages long. I do not quite understand copying and pasteing or even adding something as an attachment. Would anything like that work? Thank you very much. Mia

2. da.bell

da.bell Private First Class

Re: Ho to send word documents if the recipient's computer will not accept word docume

You could utilize Wordpad to write the document and send that or NotePad for that matter. $.02

3. mia2madison

mia2madison Private E-2

Re: Ho to send word documents if the recipient's computer will not accept word docume

Thank you very much for your reply. I am soooooo basic in my understanding here. Please excuse my ignorance. If I were to use note pad or word pad would I have to retype the entire documents (they are really long stories)? Also would I fine word pad and note pad in my all programs? This is all pretty new to me. Thank you again for your help. Mia

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi

Would the person you would like to send it to be willing to install Microsoft's Word Viewer on their computer? It would probably come in handy for them in the future also. There is no cost. They can't create documents with it, but can read them when they are sent.

Here is the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...88-7CFA-457A-9AEC-F4F827F20CAC&DisplayLang=en

5. da.bell

Great idea LauraR. I do know that there are servers that restrict what document and document types that they allow into the office.

Mia: You can highlight the text, right mouse click, copy, open Notepad/WordPad, right mouse click, paste, and then file/save and then email the document as an attachment.

6. mia2madison

mia2madison Private E-2

Thank you Da.Bell and Laura....
    I am going to see about both of your suggestions right now. I appreciate your input very much. PS...are you both in the service or is that a MG title you have both earned? Either way thank you so much for helping me so quickly. Mia

7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You're welcome. Hope it works out for you.

As far as the titles...they are just automatically generated by the person's post count. Some are different if the person is an administrator or moderator or malware fighter. Here's a post about it if you're interested: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1123201#post1123201

8. da.bell

I do work in the IT industry if that is what you are asking.

And thank you for the "Thanks" ;)

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I am not sure if your intended recipient has a copy of Word or not?

Possible problems and solutions are

You have the latest version of Word and your recipient does not.

The latest version of Word uses a different standard for saving documents from the one used in all previous versions, - so documents saved by the latest version cannot be read by older versions.

The good news is that the new Word is able to work with all previous verisons you simply need to resave your document as the older type and send it to your recipient.

A second scenario had your recipient with Windows (she does doesn't, not an appleMac?) but without Word.

Never mind Windows contains a program that can read basic Word documents called Wordpad. No need to get anything for this unless it's the newest version.

A third scenario is that your recipient has Word but is not allowed to receive documents by her organisation (but then what is the point of having word?).
    OK two options. Firstly make a copy then set your windows explorer (my computer) view to show file extensions. Right click choose edit and change the extension from .doc or .docx to .txt. (on the copy) Windows will complain but execute the command. Send this to your recipient and get her to change it back to view.

Alternatively Word itself will output your document as .txt It will loose some formatting that way as .txt (text only) documents are simpler that wordprocessor documents.

10. GeoFan

GeoFan Private First Class

As a last resort, save your document as .RTF

That format can be read by many different programs.

11. Imperfect1

Imperfect1 Private First Class

Great suggestions by all of the posters! Thanks guys and gals. Another "last resort" is to convert the document to a PDF and send it in that format.

12. mia2madison

mia2madison Private E-2

Thank you for your further suggestions. I am so uneducated on the terms. Forgive me but I do not know what RTF is and I do not know how to convert to a PDF. I was just going to try to scan all of the pages and move the scanned pages to my "pictures" and send it like that but that seems like a lot ot do and a mess to me. I still have not been successful in sending my documents. Thank you all for being patient with someone who really does not get it yet. Mia

13. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

IMO, this solution makes the most sense, unless the recipients are opposed to installing Microsoft's Word Viewer for some reason, which seems unlikely. This way, mia2madison will not have to convert the file to some other format and the recipient will be able to view the document as mia2madison intended it to look.

14. mia2madison

mia2madison Private E-2

Guess what everyone...I first made a copy of the documents then scanned them to my computer (on my printer machine) then hit "scan to PDF document". IT WORKED! Then I went to my documents where I opened up the "scans" folder. There were my documents. I highlighted them and was able to email them SUCCESSFULLY. Thank you, thank you, thank you all for all of your helpful suggestions. It takes some of us a looooooong time before the light turns on. Mia

15. GeoFan

GeoFan Private First Class

Glad to know you found a solution.

In Microsoft Word... you can "Save AS..." and choose "RTF" as the file type.

The resulting file can be opened by most word processing programs.

The .RTF file can be opened and printed or even modified by the recipient.

A .PDF file cannot be modified without the very expensive Adobe Acrobat Professional.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds