Home network setup in Vista...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rogvalcox, Oct 9, 2006.

1. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Is anybody firmiliar with how to properly set up a home network in Vista??

My internet connection is fine, but trying to do file and printer sharing has proven to be a bit of a pain!! I've diddle daddled around just by my instincts and experience with XP, but as we know, Vista is much different!! I have been googling and reading at microsoft and here and there, but still can't manage to get it worked out!!

I can see the computers and the shared folders in the network center, And when I double click on the remote computer that I want to dig into...it will open it and show the folders I have set to share, but then when I go to double click on the folder I want into...it tells me I haven't the right.

So I was wondering if anybody else has waded through this with good results, or if you know where a good tutorial might be that you can point me to!?!?

BTW...Is there some way to reset the network settings and the firewall back to default in order to take another stab at it with a fresh start?? I'm sure my messing around via trial and error has gotten a few things out of wack!!

Roger

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Ok...printing from the laptop via the wireless connection, was no problem!! It found the printer, installed it...and the page printed pronto!!

Roger

3. rosewoodtech

rosewoodtech Private E-2

stop sharing the location and then reshare it will reset the perm. sounds like you have given access and no rights

4. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Ok...just tried what you said and made sure all the permissions were set to allow, but I still can't access C:\ on either computer, from either computer!! But like I said...It will print over the wireless network, no problem!! I did notice, however, that I can access the Shared Folder from one computer or the other, so I'm wondering if there is some kind of thing that won't let you share the root drive/folder even though you have set it to!! I can see MS doing that too, because there are so many people out there that are unsecured and that would allow even more vulnerabilities, but if that is the case...I will be quite turned off by that, because I don't want MS telling me what I can and can't share and/or how!! I have so much stuff scattered here and there, I don't want to have to wory about...hmmmmm...should I ever need to share this file/folder...well I guess I better put it in the shared folder!! NO...I want to be able to access whatever...wherever...whenever...when I'm sitting downstairs on the couch...or up in my office!!

But anyway...enough of my tyrade!! I might be getting worked up over nothing!!:)

Any other ideas, rosewoodtech, or anybody else!!??

One interesting thought though...When I right click on the C:\ drive in My Computer then click on Share...I have to click on Advanced Settings, then check the box to tell it to Share or Not share because the Share button is greyed out...I wonder if that is a sign of something not right on my install/setup...however it is like that on both the laptop and the desktop!!

Roger

5. rosewoodtech

rosewoodtech Private E-2

not sure if this is still in vista but. open my computer go to tools - folder options - view - at the bottom check simple file sharing

6. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Well...the folder options you are talking of do exist...however...the simple sharing option does not. There was one at the bottom that said Use Sharing Wizard...but it still didn't make any difference!! But like I said...I can access the Shared Folder, and the Public Folder!!

I never had trouble setting up sharing in XP and 2000!! Always had more trouble figuring out the firewall than the windows options!! So I tried shutting down the windows firewall and that didn't make any difference!!

Time to eat dinner, so I'll check back later!!

Thanks!!
    Roger

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds