Home network xp wired windows 7 wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PinkMan, Aug 29, 2012.

1. PinkMan

PinkMan Private E-2

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could walk me through setting up a home network between a wired xp pro system and a wireless windows 7 home laptop.

I have searched for about 2 hours now and I haven't had much success. I have made the workgroups both named the same WORKGROUP, I have enabled file sharing but I can not see either pc on either computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!

Dustin

2. PinkMan

PinkMan Private E-2

I am running a linksys wireless router. I can connect to the internet on both computers the desktop is wired and the laptop is wireless. I the workgroup on the desktop is called "WORKGROUP", the workgroup on the laptop is named exactly the same.

I enabled sharing on both the laptop and desktop but on the laptop running windows 7 i see homegroup, i do not see this on the desktop running xp. I'm not sure really what I am supposed to be doing at this point. I just now went to control panel>system>computer name and clicked network id and ran through that as home network and restarted my pc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds