Home Network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcali2330, Sep 23, 2010.

1. mcali2330

mcali2330 Private E-2

Hello,

I just recently obtained an old Win2000 computer. it is a P4 at 512md or ram with one NIC card. I erased the hard drive and put on Windows Server 2003.

I have a Belkin wireless router, one PC and a laptop.

I already have them sharing files but I wanted to know how I can make these machines operate more like an actual home network. I am open to all of your ideas......

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

What are you trying to do? You already have a home network..

3. mcali2330

mcali2330 Private E-2

Correct, but I am trying to simulate the home network through the "server" not the Belkin router.

4. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

so you want to use the server as a router? youd need two nics and configure routing and remote access, dhcp, and dns, and also buy a switch.

Or you could turn off dhcp on your router and use the switch ports on that.

Or only use the server for routing and remote access, and keep dhcp on your router.

I would just stick with what youre doing though. use the belkin as your router. Maybe mess around with server 03 and active directory a little too. Any windows machines on your network would need to be a professional version to join a domain if you promoted your server to a domain controller though. Home versions of windows cant join domains unfortunately.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds