Home wireless routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lobo43, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Lobo43

Lobo43 Private E-2

My wireless router is a Linksys E1000 and is about 6 years old. I am wondering if there are better/faster home router acceptable now. If there are which ones are the best in with respect to speed and firewall. Can anyone please give me their experience.

Regards,
    Lobo43

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What wireless devices are in the devices you use with the Linksys E1000? No use getting something newer if the bottleneck is in the laptop/phone/netbook connected wirelessly.

3. Lobo43

Lobo43 Private E-2

I ahve my lap top, my television, my dvd palyer and my I pad. when my son vitis he will connect to thew wireless network. Lately, it seems to be running slower. My internet cable provide is Comcast and my last speed tese download was about 55Mbs and my upload was about 12Mbs.

4. plodr

laptop brand and model so I know if you have a b, g or n wireless device.
    Ipad what version?

Do you mean 55 Mbps? That is better than lots get.
    What tier are you on with Comcast? Performance, Blast or Extreme?

5. Lobo43

Lobo43 Private E-2

Yes my internet speed is 55 Mbps, and I don't know what program I am on.

My Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1500 I believe.

6. Lobo43

Lobo43 Private E-2

Sorry, I forgot, my Ipad is at the latest Apple update

7. plodr

Well as I said, 55Mbps is good. Check your plan by looking at your Comcast/Xfinity bill.

Once we know what your ISP sets as your top speed, you can determine if another router will make a difference.

I get half your speed and I'm happy with that. We have 8 computers and an Android tablet in the house.

8. Lobo43

Lobo43 Private E-2

My Comcast service is Blast! Internet Service

9. plodr

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds