Homegroups - can't add user-created shares on one computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by LeoBloom., Aug 16, 2013.

1. LeoBloom.

LeoBloom. Private E-2

Hello,

I've got a W7 Desktop and a W8 Laptop.

I've created a Homegroup and both computers have connected successfully and see each others shares.

Under the W8 computer - I can click "share with" and select "homegroup - read only," and the folder appears in the homegroup share on the W7 computer. However, clicking "share with" -- "homegroup - read only" on the W7 computer doesn't put the selected folder in the homegroup.

I can't add anything to share on the homegroup for the W7 computer except for the 4 folders that are shared by the homegroup by default.

Potential clue - on the W8 computer under homegroup - I see both the W7 computer and the W8 computer. On the W7 computer under homegroup, I only see the W8 computer. Has the behavior changed between W7 and W8 or is this indicative that I've set up something wrong?

Thank you

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If W7 can't see itself in the homegroup it sounds as if File and Printer Sharing isn't enabled in W7. Look at the W7 network adapter's properties to check. I can't be too specific about home group settings as I use password protected sharing in preference to homegroup, though I would have thought that creating a homegroup would have set that automatically :confused

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I would get away from Homegroup, and just use conventional network sharing. I have always hated Homegroup from day one, when MS introduced it into Windows 7.

Now to get to the problem, what firewall are you using with both computers? Is it the built-in on Windows 7 & Windows 8? Also when you set one up as Master, did you put in the code word that was given on the Slave machine?

I have found that it is very hard to repair Homegroup if you have issues with it. See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...p/d0e8a42e-76a4-4958-ae57-cdbf77a5f32c?auth=1 and http://social.technet.microsoft.com...o-existing-windows-7-homegroup-from-windows-8

Also, what version of the Windows are both machines running? Is it Pro, Home, Ultimate, 32bit or 64bit on the 7 machine; Upgrade, Pro, Pro Student, 32bit or 64bit on the Windows 8 machine?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds