Hooking up 2 routers to 1 modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DenaLea, Sep 22, 2009.

1. DenaLea

DenaLea Private E-2

I have a Belkin N router hooked up in the house, runs a desktop (wired) and a laptop (wireless) just fine. I bought a Belkin G to put in an out building so I can have the same set up there (wireless from N will not reach to out building). I thought it would simply be a matter of plugging an ethernet cable from one to the other, but am sadly mistaken! I have searched the internet for answers, but I must say I have almost ZERO computer smarts! IF someone could give me "CHILDLIKE" step by step instructions, they would be the hero/ine of the year! Thank you so much for ANY help!

2. Victornous

Victornous Private E-2

What I will suggest.
    First disable support for DHCP in the second Router.
    On the LAN settings, Set the first LAN IP in the range of 192.168.x.x(x being your specification).
    e.g if the Wireless N has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 set the next one as 192.168.1.2 or any other number greater than that but less than 255 coz this IP(255) is reserved for broadcast. And the default gateway for wireless G should be the IP for the Wireless N. with the same subnet mask range.
    Then you can either give it a different SSID, or use the same SSID(same as Wireless N) but if you use the same SSID(support for auto-negotiation) make sure to change the Channels, to avoid IP conflict. If the first one is in Channel 6 change the second on to channel 11(at least a difference of 4 channels between the two).
    Connect the Wireless G to any of the four LAN ports on the Wireless N router,
    You should be able to get access to the internet.

Good luck

Victornous

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds