Hooking up a printer to wireless laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skd44, Oct 25, 2005.

1. skd44

skd44 Private First Class

I have a question in regards to hooking up a printer to a laptop that has a wireless internet connection. I have my dell home pc hooked up to a cable modem and wireless router, and my printer is hooked up directly into my home pc. I recently got a laptop from work to use on the road and it came already with wireless capability (I guess with a wireless link or card already installed) because it was hooked up to the internet in my place as soon as I turned it on. My question is how can I get my laptop to print things off of the printer that is hooked up to my home pc? I don't have a disk for the printer as it came with the home computer, so which disk would I need to use, the one with drivers and devices or how else can I get the laptop to print off of that printer?

2. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

Best bet if both pc are running win xp to look in the control panel of the labtop for the network setup wizard follow the instructions and then do it for the dell pc.After that go to the dell pc in the control panel and click on the printer/faxes button right click on the printer and find where it says share the printer enable this. Then go to the labtop control panel click the printer button click where it says add a printer and follow the wizard instructions for a network printer. you may have to restart each pc after you do the network set up wizard.

3. PokeyBoy

PokeyBoy Private E-2

Sorry to diverge from your printer question but something you stated sounds scary! You said that you brought the laptop home and it "hooked up to the internet as soon as you turned it on". That tells me you don't have any security set up on your wireless router. That means anybody else could connect up to your network as easily as you did. Better check into that or you may have uninvited company.

Doug

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds