host adapter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ouranos, Mar 26, 2010.

1. ouranos

ouranos Private E-2

whats the diference betwwen a host adapter and a raid controller??

the LSI SAS 9211-8i host adapter
    with integrated raid controller
    is bootable?? meaning does it has bios that i can set an array of disk at raid0
    and put windows there??
    or it is set up within windows thus you can not place os there???
    thank you i am new at raid/host/ controlers
    thnking of buying my first right now
    and when i do i will post some numbers of
    the acard ans010 in raid :)

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

A host adapter is a hardware device that connects your computer to other network and storage devices, like hard drives (though the term can apply to other devices as well).

A RAID controller is a hardware device that manages physical drives in a system and presents them to the computer as logical units.

As to the rest of your question, I'm not sure I understand what you are asking (it's been a long day . . . ).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  3. ouranos

ouranos Private E-2

The specific host adapter is for internal use
    well a raid controller you can access it after post before windows boot thus you can make the raid adjagments and thus make the array of the disk bootable
    but some raid implementations are cheap without any bios thus you can not access them after post and can only be accessed within windows
    i do not wish such a device because it is not bootable and i can not install windows in that disk array

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds