hot fix Q811493

Discussion in 'Software' started by squrel, Apr 20, 2003.

1. squrel

squrel Private E-2

has anyone else noticed after installing the Q811493 hotfix from the windows update site under critical updates for winxp that internet explorer and most all other programs open about 3-5 seconds slower than they would if they didnt have the hot fix installed? after i uninstall it the windows open up right after click on them but when i install the hotfix they stall, not just explorer but ive noticed it when clicking on other things too (ie: my documents).....well anyways if anyone else has noticed it and installed this hot fix, try uninstalling the hot fix and see if your explorer opens as fast as it use too. please reply if anyone finds this to be true.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Yup, you're not the only one. Some apps take a 1/2 min. to load. If you don't have fast user switching or are the only user, then my understanding is it is no big deal and just uninstall it.

augie

3. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

So THAT is what is doing it!!!

Bye Bye Hotfix!!

4. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

That did it... I read on the MS site what it does... but my opinion (I KNOW NOTHING!:D and claim to know nothing!)
    is that a porperly secured computer behind a software and hardware firewall shouldn't have a prob......

Thanks for the Heads Up!!

5. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Yes I've have noticed this too. Now how would one go about uninstalling it?

6. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

Control panel....add/remove programs... it should be in the list...then just remove it...

7. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Thnx man. Much better now.

8. Balbanebeoulve

Balbanebeoulve Bal. Balba. Babalabawhosemawhutsie

Hmm is there anything important in the hotfix? Because...there may be some exploits open that are worse...but that would explain my winamp problem....

9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

wait til SP2. It will have this fix in it only the memory management that was modified in it will not cause this horrendous delay.

10. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Private E-2

Down loaded the fix and ran the system for a day to see if it made any difference.
    YES IT DID........................NOW UNINSTALLED
    It really did make a noticable difference.
    Regards
    FBW

11. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Did this come with SP1 or is it an update? And if its not in my Add remove then does that mean i definatley dont have it instaled?

12. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Private E-2

It comes as an update and it can be removed...........

13. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

ah, good good. im safe then :)

14. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

I alos noticed that M$ has moved this update from critical updates to recommended..

Hmmm

15. BTY

BTY Private E-2

when was this update available for download? Recently?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds