Hot Prescott

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MurphyXFactor, Aug 22, 2004.

1. MurphyXFactor

MurphyXFactor Private E-2

Hi guys,

I have recently replaced the standard cpu fan of my 3.0GHz Prescott, because the cpu temp used to go up to around 70'C!

It now runs 41/42'C (idle) and goes up to 59/60'C (serious apps). This is with Gigabyte's 3D Cooler running at top speed (4000rpm) - very noisy :(

Is this normal? What, if anything, should I do?

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

oh yeah, this is pure normality. What your experiencing is the prescott pumping out as much heat as a 120 watt lightbulb into a < 1 sq cm surface area.

you can either ditch the gigabyte cooler and buy one of these: http://www.crazypc.com/products/cooling/cpu.htm#socket478

or if you want, you can buy a fan controller and turn the fan down when you're just going online or using Word, and pump it up when you're playing a game.

3. MurphyXFactor

Thanx, I'll check out the link. The Gigabyte does have a controller, but at 2000rpm (bearable noise levels) it is outperformed by the original fan! Since when is it a problem to keep an Intel cool? Is it a Prescott thing?

4. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

yeah, prescotts are known to be way to hot for its kind, but it can take a lot of heat, fortunately.

5. MurphyXFactor

Ok, phew, that's a relief. Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds