Hotel internet? What to do?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ohheythere, Feb 16, 2007.

1. ohheythere

ohheythere Private E-2

Ill be at a ski resort all weekend using their unsecure wireless internet.

My question is, is there anything i can do to other peoples computer on the network, such as send messages, remote shutdowns, etc.

I just wanna have alittle fun with people, and i hear hotel internet isnt the safest thing to use.

Secondly, kinda contradicting to my last question, is hotel internet secure to be logging into account online with money in them (ex. bank account, online poker account). Or am i risking someone with a packet sniffer or something getting that info?

Thanks

2. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I'm one of the people you'd be doing that to, and I'm not too crazy about the idea. Hotels in general are stressfull enough, they don't need your kind of help. Practical jokes on my computer will never be funny, and I suspect they are illegal as you are talking about implementing them.

I would definately not do anything financial there, it is as open (even with encryption) as you think it is.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Likewise the same people you'd like to have fun with may know more about PCs and Wireless connections than you and do untold damage to your PC, wouldnt be very nice would it if the shoe was on the other foot?

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Whatever happened to ski resorts and girls to have some fun?confused

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

The modern techno age Augie, no-one likes to go outside, me I'd far rather be breaking a few old bones snowboarding and going off-piste or is that just piste :)

On the subject of banking and using others internet, I personally wouldnt even tho generally speaking your connection to the bank is 128bit encrypted at your PC.

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I agree Halo but here the only way up the hills here is to walk, and we climb dunes with trees in the way on the way down, more fun and more likely a bone break, but better then computer crime

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds