How can I connect to the internet in the middle of a field

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alcina, Mar 15, 2008.

1. alcina

alcina Private E-2

Previuosly posted in the wrong forum.
    I am very wary of wireless connections, however I now have a need to use a computer to access the internet while out walking, shopping etc.

So, I have a laptop and it has wireless connectivity, specifically 'Integrated 802.11b/g wireless and optional 3G module'.
    What I need to know is
    - if I am in the middle of a field will 802.11 guranatee me a connection or do I need to spash out on some 3G stuff?
    - is either connection inherently secure
    - how does it all work, is it really free internet connectivity?
    - A Laptop is expensive and really too big for the job. I am thinking of buying an ASUS minibook 8g to take on my travels, it's solid state so should be more robust. Anyone got one and would you recommend it for this purpose
    - Is there a better portable internet browser out there?

I know this is a big shopping list. I have looked on the web but I'm struggling to separate real information from dross. If anyone can point me at a 'dummies guide' I'd appreciate it.

2. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

You will not be able to access the internet unless you are near a wireless hot spot. This could be a local coffee shop, library, hotel, or a home in the area with unprotected wifi.

If you truly want to be able to access the net anywhere, you need to purchase a wireless card from a cellphone company. This involves a monthly fee, however you will be able to access the net anywhere you can get cellphone reception.

3. alcina

alcina Private E-2

gimpster - many thanks - any recommendations as to which provide gives best coverage

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds