How can I create folders with a size limit?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stvn, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Stvn

Stvn Private E-2

Hi Guys,

I hope this is the correct place to put this question. I'd like to find a method to automatically split a large number of files into folders all under 4.5GB. This is for back-up to DVD. I normally do this manually, but it's a tedious task. Is there any software that will do this for me? My Nero doesn't seem to do it, maybe back-up software is the way to go. Freeware is my preference, but other suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks

2. jewlzs

jewlzs Corporal

I am assuming you are only backing up the same file folders over and over. Synchronize Manager in XP may be what you are looking for search in the help and support for synchronize manager.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I know what you mean.. and I am here to help (hopefully).. the was a program called Burn to the Brim.. which I could never get to work twice... so I looked around and found ... SizeMe. It's like Christmas & yuor birthday rolled into one! It ..."enables you to easily calculate how many CDs, DVDs or other media you need in order to burn a selected directory. The program creates a layout to fill each disc up as much as possible, which you can simply drag and drop to your CD/DVD burning software and start to burn the media. You can also create ISO images from all or selected media collection, so that you can burn them later.
    "

Basically when you right click on a folder and select sizeme it will show you the best division from CD, DVD5, or DVD9, or any custom sizes... then you can drag them to Nero or select to move them into 'disk sized' folder to burn later.
    Best of all it is FREE... he does take donations.

4. Stvn

Stvn Private E-2

Thanks very much for the replies & suggestion. "Size Me" seems a good solution but one user review noted:

Since I posted this I discovered that my Nero 6 comes with an extra application called "Nero BackItUp" This seems to automatically spread large back-ups over several discs, with or without verification and data compression. I used this to back my 50GB of files to 5 DL DVDs.

This fits my needs for DVD burning, but I’ll keep "Size Me" in mind for copying files to folders between hard drives.

Thanks guys:)

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I've never seen Size Me move items from folders..I have flat method selected so folder are kept in tact...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds