How Can I Get Access To My Work Computer From My Home Computer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DawnGoCubs, Mar 8, 2017.

1. DawnGoCubs

DawnGoCubs Private E-2

Hi all -

I'm not too brainy so please hang in there with me. I've searched the forum and found some similar questions but I'm afraid the answers were much too complicated and the questions were a bit different than mine. I have two Windows 8 computers. One at work and one at home. The one at home is on the same network as my father and my mother's home computers (I'm living with them now). Due to illness it is very difficult for me to get to my office and it would be much easier to work on my home computer. My big question is whether I can work at home and have it connected remotely to my work computer so I can actively work with partners.

When I got my home computer it was Windows 7. That was a long time ago and I had learned how to turn off all of the remote features so prying parental units couldn't see anything or get into said computer. The modem or wifi thingy or whatever you call it is in my home.

When I check services.msc and Process Explorer I see lots of things that say they are remote access and remote whatever but I don't know what to start and what would make my computers vulnerable to problems. I'm running the free version of Avira - boy that software takes it's time & seems to do a good job. I have it because of CNET's review. Please don't tell me to go back to the Windows virus program unless it's necessary. I already had a snippy discussion, months ago, on another board about which is better (He started it) :p. I run Malwarebytes every few days. I use CCleaner every few days. I also check Resmon for the hell of it and set a manual restore point if no updates have come through for a few days. (I also back up to an external drive).

Any and all help is appreciated. I could start messing around but, no doubt, I'd screw up. Dawn

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The first thing you have to do is ask at work if this is permissible.

If so, someone at your workplace will advise you on using a VPN to log into the work computer.

3. DawnGoCubs

DawnGoCubs Private E-2

I understand your concern, but I'm one of three attorneys who are equal partners. (So I'd be looking in the mirror to ask myself if this is permissible). :rolleyes: When I figure out how to do this the other attorneys and employees want to try to do the same thing with all of our computers. I think you may be picturing a big corporation or something where there is a tech person (or department). We know criminal law but nothing about what a VPN is.

4. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

in that case, team viewer might be the easiest solution:
    https://www.teamviewer.com/en/
    otherwise, you might need to involve an IT person you can trust.
    good luck with it.

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

You can manually setup a VPN (Virtual Private Network) in Windows 7 or use a software program to do it.

Here are 2 links:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2419611,00.asp

https://www.howtogeek.com/135996/ho...ows-computer-without-installing-any-software/
    You'll notice in the second link references to software like ExpressVPN, LogMeIn Hamachi and TeamViewer which are worth exploring.

Important:
    As this is a law firm, you and your partners should definitely contract someone to do this for the company.
    Some years ago I recieved an email from a law firm that has been named among the 2017 FORTUNE 100 Best Companies To Work For for the 15th consecutive year. The company employs more than 1,000 lawyers.
    After contacting the company's COO I recieved an email informing me the company's email account had been hacked.
    Think about it... someone hacking the email account of a law firm employing 1,000 lawyers!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds