how can I revert my os from xp pro back to windows 2000?

Discussion in 'Software' started by magickman, Jan 4, 2008.

1. magickman

magickman Private E-2

I have a dell gx110 optiplex , a friend gave it to me,anyway I had installed xp-pro and I have'nt been able to connect it to the net by my dial up(thats all I have) I have tried everything wizards,drivers,etc still nothing, I wanted to remove xp and run the 2000 at least til I get a connection on it, how can I completely restore the machine and start from scratch? the system came with windows 2000 on it, please any help will be appreciated.:wave

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You must reinstall Win 2000.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Without a Windows 2000 installation CD and product key, you can't do much. If you have a dual boot set up where you're prompted which OS you want to boot into, and you choose WinXP or Win2000, then it's no problem. But if you installed XP Pro over Win2000, there's nothing you can do, unless you used an upgrade CD. If that's the case, read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314052/en-us This explains how to restore a Win98 or WinME installation. I don't think you can bring back Win2000 after installing XP, but I'll keep looking.

4. magickman

magickman Private E-2

Thanks any help, is it possible to restore factory set up with a dell image file or whatever? I was checking on Dell and they do have something like that but I don't know which one.?

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds