How can I share files with another PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonysolomon, Jan 14, 2007.

1. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

My friend lives in England and I live in America. We both have Windows XP. I have NIS 2003 and he has Mcafee. I'm wondering what the easiest way to get files from one of his folders is.
    I know that unless we configure those programs to allow each other's IP address, then we could turn on the Windows firewall and disable the other firewall programs.

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

The easiest would to install an ftp server (many are free) put the programs in the ftp down load directory and let him download.

In order to down load he has to install an ftp client and type to it your External IP.

Search for FileZilla it is a free excellent server Client package.

A second method is described here, http://www.ezlan.net/serving.html

3. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

What if he shared the folder? Could I just enter his IP address into IE?

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Nope. It is safer to use a VNC type program, then FTP. Depending on the files, why not just email those in trade by zipping them.

5. mulletgut

mulletgut Private First Class

Or use something like this ---->Box
    1GB free storage with easy file sharing. I have found it quite useful.

6. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

I want to thank everyone for the responses. I'm trying to use remote desktop to help this friend. I think it allows me to copy files. I'm going to have him replace Mcafee with NIS, so that I can allow my IP address into his firewall. I don't know how to do it in Mcafee.

Today, I tried it, but I couldn't get in. I had him disable Mcafee and turn on the Windows firewall, but it didn't help. I'm not sure if he has a dynamic IP address, so I'll ask him tomorrow. Does anyone know the most likely causes of this program not to work? Thanks.

7. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

8. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

What's the difference between the following?

windows messenger, msn messenger, .net messenger, & windows live messenger

9. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

I only ask, because remote assistance requires windows messenger.

I'd rather use remote desktop, but I think that you can use video chat with messenger.

Regarding remote desktop, how does my friend add me as a user? Should he create an administrator account for me, or can I just use his ID and password, even if he's logged onto that account?

This is the part that I am having trouble understanding:

[​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds