How can I stop chkdsk from running on startup?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dhuff597, Nov 22, 2006.

1. dhuff597

dhuff597 Private E-2

Everytime I boot my computer (XP), the chkdsk runs. It goes through all 5 stages and when it reboots I get the message session5_initialization_failed and the BSOD. I can't boot to safe mode or last known good configuration either. I tried doing a repair...twice with no luck. I have also tried to use the recovery console, but it is asking for a password and there wasn't one on this computer for the administrator before all of this happened. Is there anything I can do????

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Please see this Microsoft KB, titled, Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer, and let us know if it helps your situation!

3. dhuff597

dhuff597 Private E-2

It still keeps asking for a password for the recovery console. Is there any way around that at all??? I can get all of the data by putting it in a different computer, but there is a program on there that I really need because I don't want to use the updated one. :-(

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

No... no way around! You'll have to supply the administrative password for the account your trying to use. Don't worry about your program; you're not formatting... it'll still be there when we get into Windows.

5. dhuff597

dhuff597 Private E-2

But I can't get into Windows. I put the hard drive in another computer as a slave and ran the chkdsk on it that way. It didn't show any errors at all so I put it back in the original computer and the original error comes up (session5_initialization_failed).

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

this problem is caused by a corrupt version of the ntdll.dll file.
    http://www.dlldump.com/dll-files/N_6.html
    copy and paste it into the system32 folder in windows
    boot into safe mode, using the f8 shortcut, and rename the ntdll.dll file already in the folder. (just add a 0 or 1 to the end)

Then copy and paste the new file.

Or do it while slaved.

7. dhuff597

dhuff597 Private E-2

Sorry...this didn't work either. Any more ideas?

8. TimW

9. dhuff597

dhuff597 Private E-2

I still can't get by the admin password that was never there, but is now.

10. TimW

11. joelsplace

joelsplace Private E-2

***Solved!***
    I had this same stop error & chkdsk running on every startup (with no errors found). I copied the drive to another drive with Ghost2003 and it fixed my problem. It did try to run chkdsk on the first boot from the new drive but I cancelled it and all was good on the next boot.

The problem happened when I scheduled a chkdsk on both drive partitions and also scheduled a convert from FAT32 to NTFS.
    Dell Poweredge SC1420 XP Pro & Seagate 40GB SATA

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds